This set of Aerospace Materials and Processes Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Aircraft Materials – Bending Test – Reverse Bend Test”.
1. Bending tests are conducted to ensure that the material has enough _________
Explanation: Bending tests are conducted to obtain the ductility of material and make sure that it does not have more brittleness than ductility. The hardness test is conducted to measure the hardness of the material.
2. Specimens in the bending test are usually ________ inches long.
Explanation: The usual length of the bending test specimen, which is sheets or strips is 6 inches long. The specimen should not contain rough spots or edges, as that can effect the material and hence the experiment.
3. If the specimen being tested is heavy in weight, it should have a __________ cross-section.
Explanation: For a specimen being tested that is heavy in weight, the rectangular cross section should be present. The cross section can be obtained by applying a smooth file at the corner of the test specimen.
4. The usual angle through which bending should be obtained in a bending test is ________
Explanation: The usual angle with which the test specimen should be bent in the bending test is 180°. This is over a pin that has the same diameter as that of the test specimen being used in the experiment. Cracking should be avoided.
5. It is usually very easy to obtain the exact bending radius desired in a bending test.
Explanation: It is not very effortless or easy to obtain the exact desired radius of bending in the bending test being performed. But this test can often be used in shops etc. to check the properties of the material if there is a doubt about them.
6. The minimum length of wire that can be used in a reverse bend test is ________
a) 5 inches
b) 23 inches
c) 10 inches
d) 4.5 inches
Explanation: In the reverse band test, the minimum length of wire used in the experiment is 10 inches. The specifications to perform the experiment on the specimen truly depend on the nature of the material.
7. _________ usually undergoes a reverse bend test.
a) Round steel wire
c) Plated iron
Explanation: Round steel wire is usually the most widely used specimen while performing the reverse bend test in laboratories. Wood and glue cannot be used or have the bending test performed on them.
8. The radius to which the jaws of the vice rounded to for wires of diameter less than 3/16 inches is _________
Explanation: If the diameter of the wire in which the test is being carried out is less than 3/16 inches of diameter, the jaws of the vice are rounded to 3/16 inches. For wires of greater weight, the vice is set to 3 times the diameter of the wire.
9. The maximum rate up to which bending is done per minute is ________ in reverse bend test.
Explanation: The maximum speed up to which the bending experiment can be conducted in the reverse band test is 50 bends per minute. This should be done while considering how it could be prone to heating.
10. What is the rate of bending carried out for heavy wires?
a) 65 bending’s
b) 7 bending’s
c) 80 bending’s
d) 50 bending’s
Explanation: For heavy wire, the rate of bending in the reverse bend test is 7 bends per minute. For small wire, the rate of bending in the experiment is fifty bends per minute. This is the specification given.
11. A bend of what angle is considered as a single bend?
Explanation: In the reverse bend test, a single bend is usually considered to be 90° in each test. The machine goes both back and forth each time 90°, making a total of 180°, but one bend is considered to be 90°.
12. Aircraft materials need a bending test.
Explanation: It is true that most aircraft materials need to undergo and pass a bending test. This gives the impression and meets the requirement of needing a material that is more ductile and not brittle in nature.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Aerospace Materials and Processes.
To practice all areas of Aerospace Materials and Processes, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!