This set of Aerospace Materials and Processes Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Advantages and Applications of Steel”.
1. ___________ is a special kind of steel that is used exclusively for nitrided components.
d) Nitriding steel
Explanation: Nitriding steel is a type of special steel. It is applied for bushing and gears and is used specifically for nitrided components. It is also known to have good surface hardness along with other advantages.
2. __________ is the name that refers to steel used in high tensile strength. (220,000-240,000 p.s.i)
a) S.A.E 1103
d) S.A.E 8375
Explanation: Hy-Tuf (trade name) is extensively used in the construction of an aircraft, specifically hooks and landing gear components. These parts require high tensile strength. These steels should be processed with great care.
3. ____________ is known as Hadfield’s manganese steel.
a) 6150 steel
b) Hydroxide steel
c) Austenitic manganese steel
d) Nitride manganese steel
Explanation: Austenitic manganese steel is called Hadfield’s manganese steel. It is a highly tough material. The material is also exceedingly difficult to machine. It also has good resistance to wear.
4. S.A.E 4037 is a ___________ steel that can be used as a substitute for nickel steel in making bolts, pins etc.
Explanation: S.A.E 4037 is molybdenum steel. This can be used as a replacement for nickel steel in manufacturing several parts like bolts, pins, terminals and several other kinds of components. It is heated to obtain certain tensile strength.
5. It is extremely difficult to fabricate steel.
Explanation: The above statement is incorrect. It is necessary for the manufacturing of components of aircraft that materials that are easy to fabricate are used. Steel can be fabricated and it is not very difficult to do so.
6. Steel can be used in constructing several kinds of structures like bridges, buildings etc.
Explanation: Steel has several advantageous properties. Specifically, when it comes to strength, cost etc. Due to these properties, steel is used in the manufacturing of several structures like bridges, buildings, warehouses etc.
7. S.A.E 4130 is a ___________ steel that can be typically used in manufacturing parts made of sheet and tubing.
Explanation: The chrome-molybdenum steel S.A.E 4130 is used in manufacturing aircraft parts that are made of sheet and tubing. It is preferred for its good welding characteristics and it’s reaction to heat treatment.
8. Steel has a ____________ strength to weight ratio.
a) extremely low
Explanation: Steel has a good/high strength to weight ratio. It may not be as good as the metal aluminium, which has a much lower weight but steel has very good strength properties and is stronger compared to several other metals.
9. Steel is very ___________
a) rarely used
Explanation: Steel is known for being very durable and hence is a very desirable metal to be used in the construction of structures. It is not very costly and it is also widely used in major industries across the world.
10. Steel has a __________ fatigue life in comparison to other metals like aluminium.
Explanation: Compared to several other materials/metals, steel has a much higher fatigue life. Fatigue strength refers to the endurance of the metal when subjected to repeated cycles of stress without experiencing breakage.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Aerospace Materials and Processes.
To practice all areas of Aerospace Materials and Processes, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.