This set of Aerospace Materials and Processes Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Nickel and its Alloys”.
1. Inconel is an alloy that contains nickel and ___________
Explanation: Inconel is a nickel alloy that contains the elements nickel and chromium. It is an alloy that has several other advantageous properties like having favourable strength at normal as well as elevated temperatures.
2. The atomic number of nickel is __________
Explanation: The atomic number of the element nickel is 28. 23 is the atomic number of the element vanadium, whereas 40 is the atomic number of zirconium and 13 is the atomic number of the element aluminium.
3. Which one of the following is not a nickel ore?
Explanation: The element nickel has several ores. Pentlandite, chalcopyrite, and Pyrrhotite are some of the ores. Rutile is not an ore of nickel, it is an ore of the element titanium. Naturally, pure nickel is found in very small amounts.
4. Nickel alloys have very bad corrosion resistance.
Explanation: One of the most desirable and widely appreciated qualities of most nickel alloys is their resistance to corrosion. They tend to have very good resistance to corrosion.
5. Monel is an alloy that consists of nickel and __________
Explanation: Monel is an alloy of nickel. It consists of nickel and copper (High amounts). It is known for having favourable resistance to corrosion and also very great working properties. Another alloy of nickel is Dura nickel.
6. The young’s modulus of nickel is __________
a) 69 GPa
b) 120 GPa
c) 200 GPa
d) 159 GPa
Explanation: The young’s modulus of the element nickel is 200 GPa. 69 GPa is typically Young’s modulus of aluminium alloys. 120 GPa tends to be the young’s modulus of several different titanium alloys.
7. K Monel is a non-magnetic material.
Explanation: K Monel is a nickel alloy. It is also an alloy that is non-magnetic in nature. This can be a useful property as this alloy can be used in manufacturing materials close to a compass.
8. Nickel is a __________ material.
Explanation: Nickel is an element that is ductile in nature. It is also not a soft element. It is a hard material. Nickel is also a metallic element that is lustrous in appearance. It is a transition element.
9. ___________ is often used in the manufacturing of aircraft engine exhaust collectors.
a) K Monel
d) T Monel
Explanation: The nickel alloy Inconel is used in the manufacturing of aircraft engine components, specifically the aircraft engine exhaust collectors. It is often used due to its advantageous properties like good strength.
10. K Monel is an alloy that includes nickel __________
Explanation: K Monel is a nickel alloy that includes three elements- nickel, copper and aluminium. It has remarkable strength and very high resistance to corrosion. Its strength can also be elevated with heat treatment.
11. The melting point of nickel is __________
Explanation: The melting point of a material is the point of temperature at which the element changes its phase. 1445°C is the melting point of the element nickel. 660°C is the melting point of aluminium. 1668°C is the melting point of titanium.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Aerospace Materials and Processes.
To practice all areas of Aerospace Materials and Processes, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Practice Aerospace Engineering MCQs
- Buy Aerospace Materials Books
- Buy Aerospace Engineering Books
- Apply for Aerospace Materials Internship
- Apply for Aerospace Engineering Internship