This set of Aerospace Materials and Processes Quiz focuses on “Magnesium and its Alloys-2”.
1. Magnesium is convenient to use when ____________ thickness is required.
Explanation: Magnesium is used in making several components across industries in the world. Considering its physical and chemical properties, it should be used when strength is not the primary criteria and minimum thickness is required.
2. Magnesium alloys are obtainable in the form of __________
a) permanent mood
b) die castings
c) die castings and permanent mold
Explanation: Magnesium alloys can be machined easily. They can also be fabricated into several structural shapes. They are attainable in the form of die castings, permanent mould and several other variants.
3. The atomic mass of magnesium is ___________
a) 1/43 u
b) 47.867 u
c) 24.3 u
d) 51.9 u
Explanation: Magnesium is a very lightweight material compared to other materials like titanium and chromium. It does not have high strength. The atomic mass of magnesium is 24.3 u and titanium is 47.86 u.
4. ___________ is not a magnesium ore.
Explanation: Magnesium is found in the earth’s crust in several places/countries across the world. There are several ores of magnesium available. Seawater, dolomite, magnesite are some examples. Bauxite is an aluminium ore.
5. Recycling of magnesium requires only _________ of energy required to make the primary substance.
Explanation: Being able to recycle an element or material is a very advantageous prospect. Materials are recycled based on several factors including time, output, money etc. Magnesium requires only 10% of the energy required to make the primary equipment to be recycled.
6. Magnesium constitutes around __________ of ocean water in weight.
Explanation: Magnesium is found in several parts of the world as ores. It is also present in water bodies. Magnesium constitutes around 0.125% of ocean water. The slat lake city of Utah, U.S.A contains 0.56% magnesium.
7. Deficiency of magnesium in the human body can lead to diabetes.
Explanation: The above statement is correct. The human body requires several nutrients and minerals in specified quantities depending upon several factors like age, gender etc. of the person. Deficiency of magnesium can lead to diabetes.
8. Which one of the following is considered to be an ore of magnesium?
d) Natural brines
Explanation: Magnesium is never found in its natural state but instead is found in the form of ores. It has to be extracted from the ores. Natural brine is an ore of magnesium. Bornite is an ore of the element copper.
9. An important principle for cutting tools of magnesium alloys is ___________ the friction.
Explanation: There are several factors to be considered and precautions to be taken while using cutting tools. It is important to limit the friction to prevent the generation of heat as that could possibly result in fire accidents.
10. It is dangerous to use magnesium in pneumatic nail guns and simple hand tools.
Explanation: The above statement is incorrect. Magnesium can be used in making gearboxes, hand drills, pneumatic nail guns, chain saws, simple hand tools etc. as it can withstand elevated temperatures and high energies.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Aerospace Materials and Processes.
To practice all areas of Aerospace Materials and Processes for Quizzes, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.