This set of Aerospace Materials and Processes Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Chemical Processes of Titanium”.
1. Chloride process involves separation of titanium from its ___________
Explanation: The chloride process is used to extract titanium products from an ore. Some titanium ores are rutile, ilmenite, leucoxene and scheelite. These titanium ores can be found in places like Australia, China, New Zealand etc.
2. Which of the following is one of the main production unit of the chloride process?
a) Ore stage
b) Coke stage
d) Off gas treatment
Explanation: In the chloride process, there are main production units and auxiliary production units. Oxidation is one of the main production units. Here, the oxidizing agent for the oxidation process is molecular oxygen.
3. Which of the following is an auxiliary production unit of the chloride process?
c) Dust treatment
Explanation: The units in the chloride process of extraction from ores can roughly be divided into main production unit and auxiliary production unit. Both are vital for this process. Dust treatment is an auxiliary production unit.
4. Titanium can be alloyed with vanadium.
Explanation: The above statement is correct. It is possible for titanium to be alloyed with different elements and it is often done frequently. This includes alloying with several elements like vanadium, molybdenum, aluminium etc.
5. Titanium is identical to zirconium in all chemical and physical properties.
Explanation: The above statement is incorrect. Zirconium is a different element. It has an atomic number of 40 and is a lustrous element. It resembles titanium in some character traits but is not completely identical to it.
6. The linear coefficient of thermal expansion of titanium is ___________ /°F.
Explanation: The linear coefficient of thermal expansion of titanium is 4.3×106/°F. The linear coefficient of thermal expansion of other elements like aluminium is 12.7×106/°F and that of stainless steel is 9.5×106/°F.
7. Titanium is typically corrosion _________ in normal environments.
Explanation: One of the benefits of the element titanium is its great corrosion-resistant property in a normal environment. However, in the presence of concentrated acids, titanium experiences corrosion.
8. In the process of chlorination, one of the reaction is oxygen combining with carbon to form __________
a) carbon trioxide
b) chlorine oxide
d) carbon dioxide
Explanation: In the chloride process, there is involvement of chlorine, titanium and coke. Here when oxygen combines with carbon forms carbon dioxide. There are also other elements formed in the reaction.
9. The purity of the product produced in the chloride reaction is around ___________
Explanation: The chloride process involves several steps of chemical reactions like oxidation and distillation. The purity of the product obtained in this chloride process tends to be around 99 per cent.
10. Gas ___________ use an overwhelming amount of titanium produced in the world.
Explanation: Titanium is used extensively in several industries around the world. This includes the aerospace industry, chemical industry, sports industry and medical industry. It widely used to make gas turbines and also aircraft components in the aerospace industry.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Aerospace Materials and Processes.
To practice all areas of Aerospace Materials and Processes, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!