This set of Aerospace Materials and Processes Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Applications and Advantages of Nickel”.
1. Inconel is accessible commercially in which of the following shapes?
d) Tubes and wires
Explanation: Inconel is accessible in the markets in several forms and shapes. It is also available in tubes and wires. Inconel in tube form it is available in welded and cold drawn seamless form and wire in cold drawn.
2. Monel is used in making ___________
a) oil coolers
c) oil coolers and rivets
d) rubber tires
Explanation: Monel is a nickel-copper alloy. It is used in making both oil coolers and rivets. Monel is used in making several other components apart from oil coolers and rivets like stainers etc. to be used in industries.
3. ___________ metal is used near compasses.
c) K Monel
Explanation: K Monel is used in components and structures that are near a compass. This is because K Monel is non-magnetic in nature. K Monel is a nickel-copper-aluminium based alloy. It is made by adding a little bit of aluminium to Monel.
4. Nickel is suitable for manufacturing in mobile phones and power generators.
Explanation: Nickel is suitable for manufacturing several instruments and components including mobile phones and power generators. This is due to its good strength at high temperatures.
5. Inconel weighs ___________ corrosion-resistant steel.
a) less than
b) more than
c) equal to
d) double of
Explanation: Inconel weighs slightly more than corrosion-resistant steel. This is a disadvantage of the material. Inconel is a chromium-nickel alloy. It is non-ferrous due to its low iron content and also has low carbon content.
6. ___________ is a relatively non-complicated way of joining (Monel) where strength is not necessary.
c) Soft soldering
Explanation: Soft soldering is used frequently. It is a relatively non-complicated way of joining monel where strength is not necessary and several characteristic properties like contamination are not affecting it.
7. Nickel can be used in the transportation industry.
Explanation: Nickel alloys can be used extensively in the transportation industry. It is used in making heavy trucks, railway tracks and ship manufacturing. Nickel alloys are also used in jet engines.
8. ____________ alloy/alloys are corrosion resistant in atmosphere and saltwater.
d) Inconel and K Monel
Explanation: The nickel-based alloys Inconel and K Monel are both corrosion resistant in nature. They are corrosion resistant in normal atmospheric conditions as well as saltwater. This is an advantageous property.
9. Soft soldering of Monel should not be done when the material is subjected to ___________
a) low stress
b) ideal properties
d) vibration and ideal properties
Explanation: Soft soldering of Monel should not be done when the material is subjected to vibration. The same applies rule applies when the material is subjected to high stresses. Soft soldering is not very strong.
10. Inconel springs can be used at temperatures between ___________
Explanation: Inconel springs can be used at temperatures between 600-700°F. Inconel is also suitable for usage due to its various advantageous properties like being corrosion resistant and its non-magnetic nature.
11. ____________ can be used as a lubricant when Monel is subjected to boring, drilling, etc.
a) Carbon oil
b) Sulphurized oil
c) Vegetable oil
d) Deep oil
Explanation: Sulphurized oil can be used as a lubricant and should be used extensively when Monel is being subjected to machine work activities like boring, drilling, etc. For some activities, other oils are enough.
12. K Monel sheet can be welded satisfactorily by ___________
d) cold-rolling and Anomaxicity
Explanation: K Monel sheet can be welded satisfactorily by Oxyacetylene. There are different methods of making the flux required for this. The weld that is obtained as a by-product in this reacts to heat treatment.
13. ____________ is formed on the surface of Inconel if heated above 700°F in an oxidizing atmosphere.
b) Chromium oxide
c) Hydrogen peroxide
d) Nitric oxide
Explanation: Chromium oxide is formed on the surface of the nickel-chromium based alloy when it is heated above 700°F in an oxidizing atmosphere. There are different methods like pickling to remove it.
14. K Monel is accessible as ___________
Explanation: K Monel is commercially accessible in several forms and shapes. Some of the forms in which the alloy is accessible are Forgings, strip, wire, etc. Forged material can be used in manufacturing aircraft.
15. Inconel welds are cleaned after fabrication by submerging in a _________ cold nitric acid solution.
Explanation: Inconel welds are corrosion resistant. They are even more corrosion resistant when compared to the original material. Inconel welds are cleaned after fabrication by submerging in a 50% cold nitric acid solution.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Aerospace Materials and Processes.
To practice all areas of Aerospace Materials and Processes, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!