This set of Machine Design Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Riveted Joints Basics”.
1. Which of the following isn’t a main part of rivet?
Explanation: There aren’t any threads in rivets.
2. A rivet is specified as a 20mm rivet. What does it mean?
a) None of the mentioned
b) Shank dia 20mm
c) Head dia 20mm
d) Both head and shank dia 20mm
Explanation: Terminology is this way.
3. In hand riveting die is a part of hammer.
Explanation: Die is a part of hammer in machine riveting.
4. In hot riveting the shank portion is subjected to compressive stress.
Explanation: It is subjected to tensile stress as the head rests against the connected members to prevent reduction in length.
5. The amount by which the two rods to be joined are drawn together is called as?
Explanation: Draw measures the amount of distance advancing after which spigot rests on socket.
6. Two steel rods connected by cotter joint are subjected to 50 kN load each. What is the minimum diameter required of the rods? (Given: Yielding Stress= 400N/mm² ; Factor of Safety=6)
Explanation: d=√(4P/πσ) where σ= Yielding Stress/F.S ; d=30.90mm or 31 mm.
7. Among punching and drilling, which is cheaper?
c) Equally expensive
d) Cannot be determined
Explanation: Drilling has more accuracy and is more expensive.
8. Among punching and drilling, punching is safer.
Explanation: Punching injures the metal in the vicinity of the hole.
9. Riveting is not recommended for aluminium alloys.
Explanation: Aluminium alloys have poor weldability and hence riveting is preferred.
10. In joining steel plate and asbestos, welding is preferred over riveting.
Explanation: Riveting is preferred in joining heterogeneous materials.
11. Quality checking of riveted joint is much expensive than that of welded joint.
Explanation: In welding, inspections like radiographic inspections are quite costly.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Machine Design.
To practice all areas of Machine Design, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.