This set of Machine Design Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Design of IC Engine Components”.
1. Compression Ratio in diesel engine is lesser than that in Spark Ignition engine.
c) They are equal
d) Doesn’t matter
Explanation: In diesel engine, there is no spark to ignite, charge is compressed to greater extent to support self-ignition.
2. Petrol engine are more economical than diesel engine.
Explanation: Diesel engine have better thermal efficiency and hence are more economical.
3. There are ____ types of liners.
Explanation: Dry liners and wet liners.
4. If no re boring allowance is to be given, then thickness of cylinder wall is max pressure is 3.5N/mm², bore diameter=200mm and permissible tensile stress is 40N/mm².
5. If diameter of cylinder of bore is 120mm, then thickness of the cylinder will be
a) Information not sufficient
Explanation: t=0.045D + 1.6.
6. If diameter of cylinder bore is 120mm, then thickness of dry liner will be
Explanation: t= 0.03D to 0.035D.
7. If diameter of cylinder bore is 120mm, then thickness of water jacket wall will be
d) All of the listed
Explanation: p=t/3 to 3t/4, where t= thickness of cylinder wall=7mm.
8. If diameter of cylinder bore is 120mm, then thickness of water cylinder flange will be
Explanation: q=1.2t to 1.4t.
9. If nominal diameter of bolt used is 20mm, then find the radial distance between outer diameter of flange and pitch circle diameter of studs.
Explanation: r=d+6 to 1.5d i.e. 26mm to 30mm.
10. The circumferential hoop stress and longitudinal stress are both shear stress.
Explanation: They both are tensile stress.
11. The circumferential hoop stress and longitudinal stress act in same direction and hence are straight away added.
Explanation: They both act perpendicularly to each other and thus net stress in these directions is reduced.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Machine Design.
To practice all areas of Machine Design, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.