This set of Machine Design Problems focuses on “Types of Bearings”.
1. Deep groove ball bearings creates a lot of noise.
b) They create very less noise
c) Depends on the application
d) No reference frame for comparison is mentioned
Explanation: They create very less noise due to point contact.
2. There is problem of alignment in deep groove ball bearings.
b) No, it is self-aligning
c) It aligns itself only in some particular cases
d) Can’t be determined
Explanation: It is not self-aligning.
3. Deep groove ball bearing has immense rigidity.
b) No it has point contact and hence low rigidity
c) It has surface contact
d) It has line contact
Explanation: Due to point contact, rigidity is not so good.
4. Cylindrical load bearing has lower load capacity as compared to deep groove ball bearing.
Explanation: Cylindrical load bearing has a line contact and hence higher load capacity.
5. Angular contact bearing can take thrust as well as radial loads.
Explanation: The line of reaction at the contact surfaces makes an angle with axis of bearing and thus has two components, hence allowing it to take both type of loads.
6. In angular contact bearings, ____ bearings are required to take thrust load in both directions.
Explanation: Angular contact bearing has this disadvantage of needing two bearings.
7. The angular play bearing must be mounted without axial play.
b) Little tolerance is adjusted
c) Little tolerance is necessary
d) Can’t be stated
Explanation: There is no tolerance of misalignment.
8. Taper rolling supports
a) Axial loads
b) Thrust loads
c) Both axial and thrust loads
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: The line of reaction makes an angle with the axis of bearing and hence both type of loads can be carried.
9. Which of the following isn’t the property of taper roller?
a) High rigidity
b) Easy dismantling
c) Take low radial and heavy loads
d) All are the properties of tapper roller
Explanation: Due to line contact it can take high radial and thrust loads.
10. Which of the following cannot take radial load?
a) Cylindrical Roller bearing
b) Taper roller bearing
c) Thrust ball bearing
d) None of the listed
Explanation: There is no inclination in the line of reaction and hence only thrust loads can be carried.
11. Which of the following cannot tolerate misalignment?
a) Angular contact bearing
b) Cylinder roller bearing
c) Thrust ball bearings
d) All of the listed
Explanation: All of these require précised alignment.
12. Cylinder roller creates lesser noise than deep groove ball bearing.
Explanation: Due to line contact, cylinder roller creates far more noise.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Machine Design.
To practice problems on all areas of Machine Design, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.