This set of Applied Chemistry Quiz focuses on “Conversion of Solar Energy and Applications”.
1. Non conventional energy sources are those energy sources that are _________
c) Produced from electricity
d) Produced from heat
Explanation: The non conventional energy sources are the sources that are renewable and economically safe such as solar energy, wind energy, biomass energy etc.
2. The importance of increasing the use of non conventional energy sources in India is in _________
Explanation: The importance of the increasing the use of non conventional energy sources in India is in 1970. Some of them are geothermal energy, nuclear energy.
3. Solar energy in India is utilised through ________
a) Photo voltaic route
b) Photometric route
c) Photo power
Explanation: In India, the solar energy is utilised through the photo voltaic route. This can also be utilised from the thermal route.
4. Power generating system is based on _______
a) Biomass gasification
b) Coal gasification
c) Solar energy
d) Wind energy
Explanation: Power generating system is based on the biomass gasification. It can also be based on the biomass combustion that was launched in different places in central India.
5. Wind generator is used for________
a) Power generation
b) Heat generation
c) Power dissipation
d) Power consumption
Explanation: Wind generation is used to produce the power. The wind energy is mostly used for this purpose. The wind flows from high region to the lower region.
6. Geothermal energy is mostly produced in ________ in India.
d) Himachal pradesh
Explanation: Geothermal energy is mostly produced in Himachal pradesh in India. It is also seen in Jammu and Kashmir in India. The geothermal energy is generated from the hot springs.
7. In Timarpur, the power is generated from __________
a) Urban waste
b) Solar energy
c) Hydro power
d) Wind energy
Explanation: In Timarpur in Delhi, The power is generated from the urban wastes and industrial wastes. This process is also carried out in Tamil nadu in India.
8. The main application of solar cells is to generate the electricity from __________
Explanation: The main application of solar cells is to generate the electricity from sunlight. Even it is small scale or large scale electricity from sun light.
9. Solar photovoltaic cells are often connected electrically in _______
d) Neither series nor parallel
Explanation: Solar photovoltaic cells are often connected electrically in series. They encapsulated as a module to create additive voltage and to yield high current.
10. Solar power is a good __________ renewable source.
c) Commercial and economical
d) Neither commercial nor economical
Explanation: Solar power is a good economic renewable source of energy. It helps preserving the environment.
11. _________ can be used for recharging the portable devices.
a) Solar photovoltaic cells
b) Solar panels
c) Solar batteries
d) Solar dishes
Explanation: The solar panels can be used for recharging the portable devices and making power. They are also used as the heating water etc.
12. Solar cells can be used in calculators.
Explanation: Solar cells can be used in calculators. They can also be used in components like solar flash light, street lightening, home lightening and lanterns.
13. _________ in sunlight hits the panel.
Explanation: The photons n sunlight hits the panel. The photons are absorbed by the semi conducting material that is used to make the panel. Silicon is mostly used to make the panels.
14. The __________ present in the material are de-localised.
Explanation: The electrons present in the semi conducting material are de-localised and allowed to flow. The flow of electrons produces the current.
15. Due to the special composition of the solar cells the electrons are allowed to flow in _________
a) Opposite direction
b) Multiple directions
c) Single direction
d) Random direction
Explanation: Due to the special composition of the solar cells the electrons are allowed to flow in single direction only. An array of solar cells are converts the solar energy into the direct current.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Applied Chemistry.
To practice all areas of Applied Chemistry for Quizzes, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.