This set of Applied Chemistry online quiz focuses on “Mechanism of Polymerization – 2”.
1. The step polymerisation takes place by __________
a) Addition reaction
b) Condensation reaction
c) Co-ordination polymerisation
d) Anionic polymerisation
Explanation: The step polymerisation takes place by the condensation reactions of the functional groups of the monomers. Hence it is called as condensation polymerisation.
2. Which one of the following is not the three step polymerisation?
a) Co-ordination polymerisation
b) Anionic chain polymerisation
c) Cationic chain polymerisation
d) Step polymerisation
Explanation: Step polymerisation or the condensation polymerisation is not the three step polymerisation like initiation, propagation and termination.
3. The condensation polymerisation is ___________
c) Not exothermic
d) Neither endothermic nor exothermic
Explanation: The condensation polymerisation is the not exothermic reaction. It does not releases heat during the reaction.
4. The condensation polymerisation is the __________ process.
b) Very slow
d) Very fast
Explanation: The condensation polymerisation is the slow process. It is a step wise process. The monomers must be dibasic acids, diols, diamines or triols.
5. Condensation polymers will release bi-products like ________
Explanation: Condensation polymers will release bi-products like water, hydrogen chloride. CH3OH etc.
6. The polymers which possess each monomer segment in regular configuration giving a definite structure is called _____________
a) Addition polymers
b) Condensation polymers
c) Stereo regular polymers
d) Regular polymers
Explanation: In stereo regular polymers. The polymers possess the monomer segments in a regular configuration, giving a definite structural regularity as a whole are called stereo regular polymers.
7. The structural regularity of the polymers may be due to _________
b) Optical isomerism
c) Geometrical isomerism
d) Both optical and geometrical isomerism
Explanation: The structural regularity of the polymers may be due to the both optical and geometrical isomerism.
8. The polymerisation of a diacid with diol produces ____________
Explanation: The polymerisation of a diacid with diol produces the polyester. The terepthalic acid and ethylene glycol reacts to give the polyester.
9. The functionality of the monomer must be _________
d) Two or more than two
Explanation: The functionality of the monomer must be two or more than two. The monomers must be dibasic acids, diols and diamines.
10. The molecular weight of the step polymers is not the _________
a) Sum of the molecular weights of monomer
b) Sum of the molecular weight of some monomers
c) Sum of the water molecular weight
d) Sum of the weights of the bi-products.
Explanation: The molecular weights of the step polymers is not the sum of the molecular weights of the monomers. The elimination of the bi-products is done.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Applied Chemistry.
To practice all areas of Applied Chemistry for online Quizzes, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.