This set of Applied Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Mining of Petroleum”.
1. Removal of water is done by______
a) Orsteds process
b) Kjeldahl’s process
d) Cottrells process
Explanation: Cottrells process is used to remove the water from the petroleum. kjeldahl’s process is used to know the percentage of nitrogen in the coal sample.
2. Crude oil is in the form of_______
a) emulsion of oil and brine
b) emulsion of oil and impurities
c) emulsion of brine and impurities
d) emulsion of impurities and moisture
Explanation: The crude oil is obtained from the earth’s crust which will be in the form of emulsion of oil and brine. It is very stable. When this emulsion is charged then water gets separated from the oil.
3. To remove sulphur compounds from petroleum, it is treated with_____
a) copper nitrate
b) copper oxide
c) magnesium chloride
d) sodium chloride
Explanation: The sulphur compounds can be removed by treating with copper oxide as the sulphur compounds are get converted into the insoluble copper sulphide.
4. The scales formed during the removal of harmful impurities can be removed by_____
Explanation: The corrosion is will be there if there is presence of magnesium chloride or sodium chloride salts in crude oil and forms scales. These scales can be removed by dehydration process.
5. During refining the petroleum, in fractional distillation, what is the temperature in still?
Explanation: The crude oil is distilled and later it is sent into the pre-heater or else it can be heated with steam, inside the still the temperature is about 400oC.
6. Which of the following fraction obtained on distillation used in dry cleaning?
a) petroleum ether
b) heavy oil
c) gas oil
Explanation: Naphtha is used for dry cleaning. It is also called as solvent spirit. Heavy oil is mainly used in producing gasoline by cracking method.
7. What is the catalyst used in catalytic polymerization?
a) Phosphoric acid
d) Zirconium oxide
Explanation: Phosphoric acid is used as catalyst in catalytic polymerization and Al2O3 , Al2(siO3)3 are used as catalysts in catalytic thermal cracking.
8. Which of the following reactions indicates the Fischer-tropsch method?
b) nC+H2n →CnH2n
Explanation: The equation nCO+2nH2→CnH2n+nH2O represents the Fischer-tropsch method, here the catalyst used is Ni or CO. The other three reactions indicates the Bergius process or hydrogenation of coal.
9. What is the catalyst used in Bergius process?
a) nickel oleate
b) phosphoric acid
c) zirconium oxide
d) aluminum oxide
Explanation: In Bergius process the catalyst used is Nickel oleate. In this process the low ash coal is finely powdered and turned into a paste using heavy oil and the catalyst is taken into temperature.
10. What is the pressure applied during hydrogenation of coal
Explanation: A pressure of 200-250atm is applied in Bergius process for one hour 30 minutes.In polymerization the pressure of 70-350kg/cm2 is applied.
11. The boiling range of un-condensed gas is_____
a) < 300C
b) < 400C
c) > 500C
d) < 200C
Explanation: The boiling range of un-condensed gas must be very low that is less than 30oC. As the gases are un-condensed they are ready to condense and become steam. So, a small amount of heat is sufficient to boil them.
12. Heavy oil on refractionation produces____
b) diesel oil
d) kerosene oil
Explanation: Heavy oil on refractionation produces grease. It also produces lubricating oil, petroleum jelly, paraffin wax.
13. How much percentage of petrol is produced by synthesis of coal?
Explanation: 30% of the petrol is produced from synthesis of coal. Coal is mainly utilized in producing electricity and petrol.50% of petrol is produced form the process called cracking.
14. Which of the following can be used as preservative for wood?
a) solvent spirit
b) petroleum coke
Explanation: Tar is used for preserving wood and solvent spirit is mainly used for dry cleaning and as motor fuel.
15. What is the boiling range of diesel oil?
Explanation: Diesel oil’s boiling point is 250-320oC. So, in cracking the high temperatures are applied.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Applied Chemistry.
To practice all areas of Applied Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.