This set of Renewable Energy Questions and Answers for Freshers focuses on “Salient Features of Non-Conventional Energy Sources”.
1. ______ energy sources provide energy in dilute form.
Explanation: Renewable Energy sources are generally unreliable and dilute. These resources are not available constantly. The efficiency of conversion of these energy sources is low, so a large land area is required to concentrate the energy.
2. Non-Conventional Energy sources have a high gestation period.
Explanation: Non-conventional energy sources require lower time for setting up the power plant as compared to conventional energy sources. Solar power plants and wind power plants have gestation period of 15 months and 1.5 years respectively. On the other hand, thermal power plants have a gestation period of 5-6 years.
3. Based on the following options, choose the correct option.
Statement I: Non-Conventional energy is available in nature free of cost.
Statement II: Non-Conventional energy is exhaustible in nature.
a) Statement I and Statement II are correct and Statement II is the correct explanation
of Statement I
b) Statement I and Statement II are correct and Statement II is not the correct
explanation of Statement I
c) Statement I is true and Statement II is false
d) Statement II is true and Statement I is false
Explanation: Most of the renewable energy sources such as wind and solar energy are available in nature free of cost. They are inexhaustible and cannot be depleted by human activity.
4. The availability of Renewable energy sources is _____
Explanation: Renewable energy sources i.e. wind energy, solar energy, wave energy, tidal energy, etc are intermittent in nature. Most of them are non-dispatchable due to their variable nature.
5. The cost of harnessing energy from Non-Conventional Energy sources is low.
Explanation: Non-conventional energy plants employ expensive equipment. This increases the cost of harnessing energy from them.
6. Which of the following statements is not true about Renewable Energy?
a) They do not cause pollution
b) Their transportation is difficult
c) They cause ecological imbalance
d) They have a low gestation period
Explanation: Non Renewable energy sources such as fossil fuels cause emission of greenhouse gases which disturb the ecological balance. Renewable energy sources, on the other hand, do not cause ecological imbalance.
7. Renewable energy-based power plants have ______
a) negligible fuel cost
b) low energy availability
c) negligible production capacity
d) fuel storage tanks
Explanation: Renewable energy-based plants require negligible to no fuel for their operation. That’s why they cause negligible pollution.
8. Renewable energy plants require ________than traditional generators.
a) more fuel
b) less maintenance
c) higher operating cost
d) more uranium
Explanation: Renewable energy plants require very little maintenance after installation. They require very fewer operating costs as compared to traditional fossil fuel generators. They need negligible amount of fuel for operation. They do not employ uranium.
9.Most of the Renewable energy sources are ________
b) universally available
c) highly efficient
Explanation: One of the major limitations of renewable sources is that they are location specific. States without rivers can’t have hydropower dams, and states with wind speed less than 23km/hr at 50 m height can’t have wind energy plants. Renewable energy sources are not universally available due to their location specificness. They have low efficiency due to their dilute nature. Most of the Renewable energy sources do not require any fuel and hence cause minimum to low pollution.
10. The storage of renewable energy sources is expensive.
Explanation: Due to their intermittent nature, renewable energy sources are needed to be stored. Currently, the storage systems of renewable energy are expensive.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Renewable Energy.
To practice all areas of Renewable Energy for Freshers, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Renewable Energy
- Participate in Renewable Energy Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Renewable Energy
- Take Renewable Energy Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Practice Mechanical Engineering MCQs
- Buy Chemical Engineering Books
- Apply for Mechanical Engineering Internship
- Apply for Renewable Energy Internship
- Apply for Chemical Engineering Internship