This set of Applied Chemistry Assessment Questions and Answers focuses on “Reverse Osmosis, Ultrafilteration, COD and BOD”.
1. When two solutions of the different concentration are separated by the semi permeable membrane then the solvent flows from low to higher concentration is called osmosis.
Explanation: Always the energy flows from lower to higher concentration. When two solutions of the different concentration is separated by the semi permeable membrane then the solvent flows from low to higher concentration is called osmosis.
2. Which of the following method is not the method of desalination?
a) Reverse osmosis
b) Multi flash distillation
c) Electro dialysis
Explanation: The reverse osmosis, multi flash distillation and electro dialysis are the methods of desalination and smelting is not the process of desalination.
3. The natural tendency of the water can be reversed by applying ________ to the salty water part.
a) Low pressure
b) High pressure
c) Low temperature
d) High temperature
Explanation: The natural tendency of the water can be reversed by applying the high pressure with a piston to the salty part of the water.
4. In reverse osmosis, the water flows from __________ concentration to ___________ concentration.
a) Low, high
b) High, low
c) High, moderate
d) Moderate, low
Explanation: In reverse osmosis, the water flows from the lower to higher concentration. In osmosis the water flows from the higher to lower concentration.
5. The semi permeable membranes used in the reverse osmosis is _________
c) Cellulose acetate
d) Glucose acetate
Explanation: The semi permeable membrane used in reverse osmosis is cellulose acetate and cellulose butyrate etc.
6. By ultra filtration aldrin can be removed by _________
Explanation: By ultra filtration process, many micro organisms can be removed by reacting the industrial waste with activated charcoal. Aldrin can be removed by 99%.
7. __________ co polymer can remove the chlorinated pesticides.
a) Styrene di vinyl benzene
c) Benzoyl peroxide
Explanation: The styrene di vinyl benzene can remove the chlorinated pesticides by absorption at the surface.
8. In reverse osmosis, the membrane pores are smaller in size about ___________
a) 0.04 to 600nm
b) 0.08 to 500nm
c) 0.1 to 600nm
d) 0.2 to 500nm
Explanation: In reverse osmosis, the size of the membrane used is very smaller. It is about 0.04 to 600nm.
9. COD values are always _________ BOD.
a) Less than
b) Higher than
d) Nearly equal
Explanation: COD values are always greater than that of the BOD values because the organic and the biologically oxidisable materials are oxidised in COD.
10. COD can be determined in ___________
a) 1 Hour
b) 2 Hours
c) 3 Hours
d) 4 Hours
Explanation: COD can be determined in 3 hours. The organic matter of sample is oxidised to the carbondioxide, ammonia and water.
11. Increase in the BOD value in the water indicates ___________
a) Decrease in pollution
b) Increase in pollution
c) Pollution is independent of BOD
d) Slight decrease in the BOD
Explanation: Increase in the value of the BOD in water indicates the increase in the water pollution.
12. The organic matter have the limit in water that is about __________
a) 0.2 to 1
b) 0.5 to 1
c) 1 to 2
d) 2 to 4
Explanation: The organic matter has the desired limit in water about 0.2 to 1 ppm. Increase in the value indicates the pollution.
13. In sewage the waste is about ___________
Explanation: Sewage contains 99.95% of water and 0.05% of the organic and municipal wastes. Strength of sewage is expressed in terms of BOD.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Applied Chemistry.
To practice all areas of Applied Chemistry Assessment Questions, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.