This set of Applied Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Power alcohols as Fuels”.
1. Power alcohols contains ________
a) 50-60% of petrol
b) 70-80% of petrol
c) 50-60% of ethanol
d) 70-80% of ethanol
Explanation: When ethyl alcohol is used in internal combustion engines then it is called as power. So, it contains 70-80% of petrol and 20-25% of ethanol.
2. Alcohol can absorb __________
a) traces of water
b) traces of impurities
c) traces of dust
d) traces of carbon
Explanation: Alcohol has the power to absorb the traces of water present in petrol as it dissolves in water.
3. Ethyl alcohol reduces the _________
a) oxygen emissions
c) polluting emissions
d) nitrogen emissions
Explanation: Ethyl alcohol contains nascent oxygen atoms that reduce the pollutants like CO and other hydro carbons.
4. Power alcohol is _______ than petrol.
a) bad product
b) less efficient
Explanation: Power alcohol is cheaper than petrol. It is the main advantage of the power alcohols made them to be fuels.
5. Main disadvantage of the power alcohol is _______
a) starting troubles
b) more cost
c) increases foreign currency
d) increases octane number of petrol
Explanation: The main disadvantages of the power alcohols are starting troubles due to the high surface tension and atomization.
6. What is the colour of the bio diesel?
b) light yellow
c) dark orange
d) light brown
Explanation: The bio diesel is light yellow in colour. Most of the power alcohols are yellow in colour as they are hydrocarbons.
7. The natural gas along with the petroleum is called __________
a) water gas
b) oil gas
c) wet gas
d) heavy oil
Explanation: The natural gas along with the petroleum is called as wet gas and water gas is the mixture of the CO and water.
8. The calorific value of the natural gas is?
Explanation: 12000-14000kcal/m3 is the calorific value of the natural gas which is very high value and produces a lot of heat.
9. Natural gas contains ___________
Explanation: The composition of natural gas is: methane=70-90%; benzene=5-10%; CO+Carbon dioxide=remainder.
10. The calorific value of LPG is _____________
Explanation: The calorific value of the LPG is more than that of the natural gas. It is about 278000kcal/m3. So, it is more efficient than the natural gas.
11. CNG is stored at a pressure of ___________
Explanation: CNG is very light weight gas. So, the storage of the gas is little difficult. So, it is stored at a pressure of 200-248kg/cm2.
12. Boiling point of LPG is ___________
c) above room temperature
d) below room temperature
Explanation: LPG has the property of fast ignition and it needs very less amount of energy to burn that is the heat supplied is very low about the temperature less than that if room temperature.
13. CNG has high auto-ignition temperature of _______
Explanation: CNG also have high auto ignition energy and has a calorific value of 900 kJ/mole. Its auto ignition temperature is about 813k.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Applied Chemistry.
To practice all areas of Applied Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Applied Chemistry
- Participate in Applied Chemistry Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Applied Chemistry
- Take Applied Chemistry Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10