This set of Applied Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Biomass and Biofuel – 1”.
1. The term biomass most often refers to ___________
a) Inorganic matter
b) Organic matter
d) Ammonium compounds
Explanation: The term biomass is most often refers to the organic matters such as timber and crops grown specially to be burnt to generate heat and power.
2. Dead organisms are also comes under the biomass.
Explanation: Dead organisms are also comes under the biomass. Some living organisms, recently dead organisms and by-products of plants and animals are also comes under biomass.
3. Biomass is useful to produce __________
d) Transportation fuels
Explanation: Biomass is useful to produce the transportation fuels. It is also useful to produce the renewable electricity and thermal energy.
4. Which one of the following is an example of starch crops biomass feed stocks?
a) Sugar cane
b) Wheat straw
c) Corn stover
d) Orchard prunings
Explanation: The grains and starch crops biomass are sugar cane, iron, wheat , sugar beats and instrial sweet and potatoes.
5. Which of the following forestry materials can be used as biomass?
a) Logging residues
c) Fish oil
Explanation: The forestry materials that can be used as the biomass is logging residues. The tallow, fish oil and manure comes under the animal-by-products that can be used as biomass.
6. Which of the following is not used as biomass?
a) Hybrid poplar
b) Willow algae
c) Iron nails
d) Trap grease
Explanation: The hybrid poplar and willow algae are the energy crops that can be used as the biomass. The trap greases comes under the urban wastes that can be used as biomass. Iron nails are not the biomass.
7. The aerobic digestion of sewage is used to produce __________
b) Bio fuels
c) Synthetic fuels
d) Metal articles
Explanation: The aerobic digestion of sewage is used to produces the bio fuels. The fuels that can be derived from the biomass are called as the bio fuels.
8. Bio ethanol is denatured alcohol that is also called as __________
b) Methylated spirit
c) Ethylene glycol
Explanation: Bio ethanol is denatured alcohol. It is also called as methylated spirit. It causes blindness on consumption.
9. The production of bio ethanol is by fermenting the _________ and starch components.
Explanation: The bio ethanol is produced by fermenting the sugar and starch components of plant products. First it is subjected to the milling and mixed with water and enzymes.
10. The bio ethanol is subjected to rectification to remove ___________
Explanation: After adding the water and enzymes, the sugar syrup and yeast is subjected to fermentation followed by distillation and the rectification to remove impurities.
11. The bio ethanol obtained in the fermentation process has __________ purity.
Explanation: The bio ethanol obtained in the formation process has the 99.7% purity. The highest purity is obtained fermentation process.
12. The by-products that are produced during rectification of bio ethanol is used as_________
a) Pig feed
b) Cow feed
c) Dog feed
d) Sheep feed
Explanation: The by-products that are obtained during rectification of bio ethanol are evaporated, dried and can be used as dog feed.
13. To make transport fuel the bio ethanol is blended with _________
Explanation: To make the transport fuel, the bio ethanol is blended with the petrol. It is one of the applications of the bio ethanol.
14. _________ is called as the bio gas.
a) Bio ethanol
b) Bio methane
c) Bio diesel
d) Bio butanol
Explanation: The bio methane is called as the bio gas. It is used mainly for cooking purposes. It is mostly produced from animal wastes.
15. The percentage of carbondioxide in the bio methane is ____________
Explanation: The bio methane is the mixture of the methane, carbondioxide, small amounts of nitrogen. The carbondioxide is nearly of 32-43%.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Applied Chemistry.
To practice all areas of Applied Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.