This set of Cell Biology MCQs focuses on “Gene Expression Control – Eukaryotes”.
1. The sheep Dolly was cloned in the year _____________
Explanation: A team of Scottish researchers reported the cloning of a mammal in 1997, a lamb which they names as Dolly. This was the first cloned mammal ever reported.
2. Single cells from an adult animal can give rise to whole new individuals.
Explanation: Single cells from an adult animal cannot give rise to whole new individuals however, nuclei from such cells possess all the information necessary for developing a new organism.
3. How many types of cells were fused in the cloning of Dolly?
Explanation: Two types of cells from different sheep were taken and fused with the aid of an electrical impulse in the cloning of Dolly. Enucleated unfertilized eggs from one sheep and cultured epithelial cells from udder of an adult sheep were fused together.
4. The transcriptional state of a cell is irreversible.
Explanation: The transcriptional state of a cell depends on its chromatin, and is not irreversible. It rather depends on the environment which induces the types of genes that need to expressed.
5. The processing-level control is concerned with ________________
a) primary transcripts
b) secondary transcripts
c) tertiary transcripts
d) quaternary transcripts
Explanation: The processing-level control is associated with primary transcripts and involves the processing of primary messenger RNAs in the nucleus before they begin with the translation in the cytoplasm.
6. What percent of a typical cell is constituted by hemoglobin?
Explanation: 95% of a typical cell’s protein content is constituted by the oxygen carrying protein – hemoglobin, while the genes encoding for hemoglobin constitute only a small part of the cell’s genome.
7. Which type of control determines for how long will a particular mRNA be translated?
Explanation: Translational-level control determines for how long a period, and how often a particular messenger RNA molecule is translated. The translational-level control is prevalent in the cytoplasm.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Cell Biology.
To practice MCQs on all areas of Cell Biology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.