1. The main reason for the discontinuation of semi conductor based storage devices for providing large storage space is,
a) Lack of sufficient resources.
b) High cost per bit value.
c) Lack of speed of operation.
d) None of the above.
Explanation: <numeric> In case of semi conductor based memory technology, we get speed but the increase in the integration of various devices the cost is high.
2. The digital information is stored on the hard disk by ____________.
a) Applying a suitable electric pulse.
b) Applying a suitable magnetic field.
c) Applying a suitable nuclear field.
d) By using optic waves.
Explanation: <numeric> The digital data is sorted on the magnetized discs by magnetizing the areas.
3. For the synchronization of the read head, we make use of a _______.
a) Framing bit
b) Synchronization bit
d) Dirty bit
Explanation: <numeric> The clock makes it easy to distinguish between different values red by head.
4. On of the most widely used schemes of encoding used is _________.
d) Block encoding
Explanation: <numeric> The Manchester encoding used is also called as phase encoding and it is used to encode both clock and data.
5. The drawback of Manchester encoding is _________.
a) The cost of the encoding scheme
b) The speed of encoding the data
c) The Latency offered
d) The low bit storage density provided
Explanation: <numeric> The space required to represent each bit must be large enough to accommodate two changes in magnetization.
6. The read/write heads must be near to disk surfaces for better storage.
Explanation: <numeric> By maintaining the heads near to the surface greater bit densities can be achieved.
7. _____ pushes the heads away from the surface as they rotate at their standard rates.
a) Magnetic tension
b) Electric force
c) Air pressure
d) None of the above
Explanation: <numeric> Due to the speed of rotation of the discs air pressure develops in the hard disk.
8. The air pressure can be countered by putting ______ in the head-disc surface arrangement.
a) Air filter
b) Spring mechanism
d) None of the above
Explanation: <numeric> The spring mechanism pushes the head along the surface to reduce the air pressure effect.
9. The method of placing the heads and the discs in an air tight environment is called as ______.
a) RAID Arrays
b) ATP tech
c) Winchester technology
d) Fleming reduction
Explanation: <numeric> The Disks and the heads operate faster due to the absence of the dust particles.
10. A hard disk with 20 surfaces will have _____ heads.
Explanation: <numeric> Each surface will have its own head to perform read/write operation.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Organisation and Architecture.