This set of Computer Organization Multiple Choice Questions & Answers focuses on “Intel IA-32 Pentium Architecture-2”.
1. The instructions of IA-32 machines are of length up to ______
a) 4 bytes
b) 8 bytes
c) 16 bytes
d) 12 bytes
Explanation: The size of instruction that can be executed at once.
2. The bit present in the op code, indicating which of the operands is the source is called as ________
a) SRC bit
b) Indirection bit
c) Direction bit
d) FRM bit
3. The ____ directive is used to allocate 4 bytes of memory.
4. .data directive is used _________
a) To indicate the ending of the data section
b) To indicate the beginning of the data section
c) To declare all the source operands
d) To Initialize the operands
Explanation: This is used to indicate the starting of the section of data.
5. The instruction used to cause unconditional jump is ________
Explanation: This statement causes a jump from one instruction to another without the condition.
6. ____ instruction is used to check the bit of the condition flags.
Explanation: This is used to check the condition flags for exceptions.
7. REPINS instruction is used to __________
a) Transfer a block of data serially from an Input device to the processor
b) Transfer a block of data parallelly from Input device to the processor
c) Transfer a block of data serially from an Input device to the output device
d) Transfer a block of data parallelly from Input device to the output device
8. Which of the following statements regarding Stacks is/are True.
i) The stack always grows towards higher addresses
ii) The stack always grows towards lower addresses
iii) The stack has a fixed size
iv) The width of the stack is 32 bits
a) i and iii
b) i and iv
c) ii and iv
d) iii and iv
Explanation: The stack is a data structure which is fixed at one end and grows at the other.
9. The instruction used to multiply operands yielding a double integer outcome is _____
Explanation: This instruction is used to carry out multiplication on large integral values.
10. SIMD stands for _______
a) Single Instruction Multiple Data
b) Simple Instruction Multiple Decoding
c) Sequential Instruction Multiple Decoding
d) System Information Mutable Data
Explanation: This is the instruction used to perform an operation on multiple types of data.
11. The IA-32 system follows _____ design.
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: This system architecture is used to reduce the steps involved in execution by performing complex operations in one step.
12. Which architecture is suitable for a wide range of data types?
d) ASUS firebird
13. In case of multimedia extension instructions, the pixels are encoded into a data item of _____
a) 16 bit
b) 32 bit
c) 24 bit
d) 8 bit
14. The MMX (Multimedia Extension) operands are stored in ______
a) General purpose registers
b) Banked registers
c) Float point registers
d) Graphic registers
Explanation: These operands are used for graphic related operations.
15. The division operation in IA-32 is a single operand instruction so it is assumed that ___________
a) The divisor is stored in the EAX register
b) The dividend is stored in the EAC register
c) The divisor is stored in the accumulator
d) The dividend is stored in the accumulator
Explanation: In the case of a division the divisor is pre-loaded onto the ALU.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Organization and Architecture.