This set of Computer Organization and Architecture Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “”.
1. ________ are the different type/s of generating control signals.
d) Both Micro-programmed and Hardwired
Explanation: The above is used to generate control signals in different types of system architectures.
2. The type of control signal is generated based on ________
a) contents of the step counter
b) Contents of IR
c) Contents of condition flags
d) All of the mentioned
Explanation: Based on the information above the type of control signal is decided.
3. What does the hardwired control generator consist of?
b) Condition codes
c) Control step counter
d) All of the mentioned
Explanation: The CU uses the above blocks and IR to produce the necessary signal.
4. What does the end instruction do?
a) It ends the generation of a signal
b) It ends the complete generation process
c) It starts a new instruction fetch cycle and resets the counter
d) It is used to shift the control to the processor
Explanation: It is basically used to start the generation of a new signal.
5. The Zin signal to the processor is generated using, Zin = T1+T6 ADD + T4 .BR…
Explanation: The signal is generated using the logic of the formula above.
6. What does the RUN signal do?
a) It causes the termination of a signal
b) It causes a particular signal to perform its operation
c) It causes a particular signal to end
d) It increments the step counter by one
Explanation: The RUN signal increments the step counter by one for each clock cycle.
7. The name hardwired came because the sequence of operations carried out is determined by the wiring.
Explanation: In other words hardwired is another name for Hardware Control signal generator.
8. The benefit of using this approach is ________
a) It is cost effective
b) It is highly efficient
c) It is very reliable
d) It increases the speed of operation
9. The disadvantage/s of the hardwired approach is ________
a) It is less flexible
b) It cannot be used for complex instructions
c) It is costly
d) less flexible & cannot be used for complex instructions
Explanation: The more complex the instruction set less applicable is a hardwired approach.
10. The End signal is generated using, End = T7.ADD + T5.BR + (T5.N+ T4.-N).BRN…
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Organisation and Architecture.