This set of Computer Organization Assessment Questions and Answers focuses on “Functional Units of a Computer”.
1. The ______ format is usually used to store data.
Explanation: The data usually used by computers have to be stored and represented in a particular format for ease of use.
2. The 8-bit encoding format used to store data in a computer is ______
Explanation: The data to be stored in the computers have to be encoded in a particular way so as to provide secure processing of the data.
3. A source program is usually in _______
a) Assembly language
b) Machine level language
c) High-level language
d) Natural language
Explanation: The program written and before being compiled or assembled is called as a source program.
4. Which memory device is generally made of semiconductors?
c) Floppy disk
d) Cd disk
Explanation: Memory devices are usually made of semiconductors for faster manipulation of the contents.
5. The small extremely fast, RAM’s are called as _______
Explanation: These small and fast memory devices are compared to RAM because they optimize the performance of the system and they only keep files which are required by the current process in them
6. The ALU makes use of _______ to store the intermediate results.
Explanation: The ALU is the computational center of the CPU. It performs all the mathematical and logical operations. In order to perform better, it uses some internal memory spaces to store immediate results.
7. The control unit controls other units by generating ____
a) Control signals
b) Timing signals
c) Transfer signals
d) Command Signals
Explanation: This unit is used to control and coordinate between the various parts and components of the CPU.
8. ______ are numbers and encoded characters, generally used as operands.
d) Stored Values
9. The Input devices can send information to the processor.
a) When the SIN status flag is set
b) When the data arrives regardless of the SIN flag
c) Neither of the cases
d) Either of the cases
Explanation: The input devices use buffers to store the data received and when the buffer has some data it sends it to the processor.
10. ______ bus structure is usually used to connect I/O devices.
a) Single bus
b) Multiple bus
c) Star bus
Explanation: BUS is a bunch of wires which carry address, control signals and data. It is used to connect various components of the computer.
11. The I/O interface required to connect the I/O device to the bus consists of ______
a) Address decoder and registers
b) Control circuits
c) Address decoder, registers and Control circuits
d) Only Control circuits
Explanation: The I/O devices are connected to the CPU via BUS and to interact with the BUS they have an interface.
12. To reduce the memory access time we generally make use of ______
b) Higher capacity RAM’s
Explanation: The time required to access a part of the memory for data retrieval.
13. ______ is generally used to increase the apparent size of physical memory.
a) Secondary memory
b) Virtual memory
Explanation: Virtual memory is like an extension to the existing memory.
14. MFC stands for ___________
a) Memory Format Caches
b) Memory Function Complete
c) Memory Find Command
d) Mass Format Command
Explanation: This is a system command enabled when a memory function is completed by a process.
15. The time delay between two successive initiation of memory operation _______
a) Memory access time
b) Memory search time
c) Memory cycle time
d) Instruction delay
Explanation: The time is taken to finish one task and to start another.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Organization and Architecture.