This set of Class 11 Chemistry Chapter 11 Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “p-Block Elements – Allotropes of Carbon”.
1. Which of the following is the chemical formula of fullerenes?
Explanation: A Fullerene is a crystalline form of allotropic carbon, which is the only pure form of carbon. It is a C60 molecule which is used in microscopic ball bearings, lightweight batteries, in the synthesis of new plastics and new drugs.
2. Half many five-membered rings are there in fullerenes?
Explanation: The Fullerenes are C60 molecules which contain 12 five-membered rings and 20 six remembered rings, the five-membered rings are connected to six-membered rings while six-membered rings are connected to both five and six-membered rings.
3. What is the suspension of graphite in water known as?
a) Gaseous bag
b) Aqua Dag
c) Oil Dag
d) Liquid Dag
Explanation: Graphite is a form of crystalline allotropes of carbon the suspension of graphite in water is known as aqua dag and the suspension of graphite in oil lubricants is known as oil Dag. Aqua dag is commonly used in cathode ray tubes.
4. Bituminous is a common type of _____________
Explanation: The different types of coal are Peat 60% of carbon, lignite 70% of carbon, bituminous 78% of carbon, semi-bituminous 83% of carbon and anthracite 90% of carbon. Among them, bituminous is the most common variety of coal.
5. Wood Charcoal is an allotrope of _____________
Explanation: Wood Charcoal is obtained by heating wood strongly in the absence of air. When heated with steam, it becomes more activated and it is used to remove coloring matters and audio odouiferous gases. It is an allotrope of carbon which is in amorphous form.
6. Bone black is used in the manufacture of pyridine.
Explanation: Bone black or animal Charcoal is obtained by destructive distillation of bones in iron retort by-products are bone oil and pyridine. It is used as adsorbent on burning, it gives Bone ash which is calcium phosphate and used in the manufacture of phosphorus and phosphoric acid.
7. Which of the following is an amorphous allotrope of carbon?
Explanation: Diamond, fullerenes come and graphite are crystalline allotropes of carbon whereas lampblack is an amorphous form of carbon, which is obtained by burning vegetable oils in a limited supply of air and it is also used in the manufacture of printing ink, black paint, varnish, and carbon paper.
8. Carbon black is the same as coke.
Explanation: Coke is obtained by destructive distillation of coal whereas carbon black is obtained by burning natural gas in a limited supply of air and then it is added to rubber mixture for making automobile tires. Both are amorphous forms of allotropic carbon but they are not the same.
9. Which of the following allotropes of carbon are hard in nature?
Explanation: The crystalline form of allotropic carbon is diamond, it is the hardest and has a three-dimensional polymeric structure in which hybridization of carbon is sp3. It is covalent solid, melting point is 3650-degree centigrade and it is also a bad conductor of heat and electricity.
10. Which of the following is known as the Black lead?
Explanation: Graphite is also a crystalline form of allotropic carbon which is dark grey in color, it has hexagonal plates, the hybridization of carbon is sp2 and it is a good conductor of heat and electricity due to the presence of electrons. It is known as a black lead and it is also a very good lubricant.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Chemistry – Class 11.
To practice all chapters and topics of class 11 Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Chemistry - Class 11
- Participate in Chemistry - Class 11 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Chemistry - Class 11
- Take Chemistry - Class 11 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10