This set of Class 11 Chemistry Chapter 14 Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Strategies to Control Environmental Pollution”.
1. Which of the following is a major cause of environmental degradation?
a) Sewage treatment
b) Improper waste disposal
c) Microwave-assisted reactions
Explanation: Disposing of waste has huge environmental impacts as a certain type of wastecan be hazardous and can contaminate the environment if not handled properly. Some waste generates methane gas, which contributes to the greenhouse effect.
2. Identify the type of waste which can be degraded by composting, vermicomposting and landfills method.
b) Tins and metals
Explanation: Biodegradable wastes are deposited in landfills and are converted into compost. These wastes mix with the soil and produce manure. Examples include paper, leaves and vegetable peels.
3. Dumping of sewage sludge into the sea is preferred and beneficial over dumping them into the land. State true or false.
Explanation: Dumping of sewer sludge into land is preferred. This is because it contains compounds of nitrogen and phosphorus which act as a good fertilizer for the soil.
4. Which method is best suitable for disposing of plastic wastes and polythene bags?
a) Burning and incineration
Explanation: Recycling is the most useful method for plastic waste disposal as several waste materials can be used as raw materials to manufacture useful products again.
5. Which among the following is a biodegradable waste?
Explanation: Cellulose is an organic material derived from plants. Hence they are degraded in nature by microorganisms. They are deposited in landfills and are converted into compost.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Chemistry – Class 11.
To practice all chapters and topics of class 11 Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Chemistry - Class 11
- Participate in Chemistry - Class 11 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Chemistry - Class 11
- Take Chemistry - Class 11 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10