This set of Mechanical Operations Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Sedimentation”.
1. In thorough washing, the wash liquid is introduced through alternate plates called _________
a) Bleeding plates
b) Raking plates
c) Washing plates
d) Doctor’s plate
Explanation: The wash liquid is introduced through a separate channel behind the filter cloth on alternate plates known as washing plates.
2. The thickness of the cake depends up on the _________
a) Time taken
Explanation: The optimum thickness of the cake to be formed in a filter press depends upon the resistance offered by the filter cake and on the time taken to dismantle and refit press.
3. What does the following equation represents?
B1 V2 + B2 V
a) Pressure drop
b) Time taken for filtration
c) Weight of cake
d) Radius of press
Explanation: The time of assembling and dissembling the press is independent of thickness of cake produced, the total time of a cycle in which a volume V is collected.
4. If the resistance is neglected, then ________
a) t = B1 V2
b) t = B2 V
c) t = V2
d) t = B1 + B2
Explanation: If the resistance of the filter is neglected, then t = B1 V2 and the time during which filtration is carried out is exactly equal to press out of service.
5. The capital cost and vacuum equipment is high for rotary filter.
Explanation: This is the only drawback of a rotary filter that it has a high operating cost and also a high vacuum maintenance.
6. In a Kelly filter, leaves are arranged
Explanation: In the Kelly filter, a number of vertical rectangular leaves are arranged longitudinally in a horizontal cylindrical shell.
7. Vertical pressure filters have leaves mounted ________
d) All directions
Explanation: The filters have vertical, parallel, rectangular leaves mounted in an upright cylindrical pressure tank.
8. In Vertical pressure filters, with high quantity feed ______ occurs.
a) Low filtration
b) High filtration
c) High pressure
d) Low pressure
Explanation: These filters are used when large quantities of liquid with low concentration of solid are to be filtered.
9. What is the diameter of a rotary drum?
a) 50 to 100 ft
b) 8 to 20 ft
c) 1 to 15 ft
d) 4 to 6 ft
Explanation: It may be 1 to 15 ft. in the diameter and from 1 to 20 ft. long and is made of a metal sheet and is divided into sections.
10. In a rotary drum, the cake is discharged by ________
a) Doctor’s knife
b) Athlete’s head
c) Prank’s Tip
d) Eject tool
Explanation: The cake is discharged by means of a doctor’s knife which scraps the cake from the drum as the drum rolls.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Mechanical Operations.
To practice all areas of Mechanical Operations, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.