This set of Mechanical Operations Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Equipments”.
1. For the transportation of the ultrafine particles the equipment used is a _____ conveyor.
Explanation: For a pneumatic the size of particles allowed is 1 micrometer, for example paint pigments, dirt, fogs.
2. Which of the following filter may prove unsuitable for filtering volatile liquid?
Explanation: Volatile liquid are tend to evaporate in such conditions pressure filter may be best option to use than the vacuum filter.
3. Helical screw agitator is used for _________
a) Mixing highly viscous paste
b) Blending immiscible liquid
c) Mixing liquids at very high temperature
d) Mixing solids
Explanation: Helical screw agitator is used for mixing highly viscous pastes, due to the structure of the blade which is heical.
4. A propeller agitator ____________
a) Produces mainly axial flow
b) Used for mixing high viscous pastes
c) Runs at slow speed
d) Used for low viscous fluids
Explanation: A propeller agitator produces mainly axial flow as the shaft is set at an angle of less than 90 degrees to the horizontal.
5. Highly viscous liquids and pastes, are agitated by ________
b) Turbine agitators
c) Multiple blade paddles
Explanation: As the operation involves material like pastes and viscous things, normal mixing cannot be preached as they stick to material and can give less efficiency.
6. Float and sink test determines the possibility of cleaning of coal by a process based on the ___________
a) Gravity separation
b) Wet ability
c) Particle shape
Explanation: The coal which has the best properties will float on the layer of water, whereas which contains other minerals will sink at bottom.
7. Colloidal mills are used for _________ grinding.
Explanation: The best mixing for ultrafine particles can be achieved in colloidal mills having range of particles from less than 10 micrometer.
8. Which of the following conveyors cannot be recommended for transportation of abrasive material?
Explanation: Abrasive material are tend to chip and tear during the flight conveying process and thus may prove inefficient for the work.
9. For sizing of the materials, the most suitable equipment is a _________
c) Shaking screen
d) Vibrating screen
Explanation: For a basic start process the vibrating screen are the best that can be used, it can separate particles ranging from 10 mm to 500 mm.
10. Which of the following can be the most effectively used for clarification of lube oil and printing ink?
a) Sparkler filter
b) Precoat filter
c) Disc bowl centrifuge
d) Sharpness super centrifuge
Explanation: The super centrifuges operates at a speed of at least 15,000 rpm which are suitable for separation of ultrafine particles.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Mechanical Operations.
To practice all areas of Mechanical Operations, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.