This set of Mechanical Operations Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Mixing Basics”.
1. Width and speed of a conveyer belt depends upon the ____ of the material.
a) Lump size
b) Bulk density
Explanation: The dimension and operation of a belt depends on the pressure as the pressure increases the speed decrease and vice versa.
2. The filtrate flow rate in constant pressure filtration _____
a) Continuously increases
b) Continuously decreases
c) Constant throughout
d) No effect
Explanation: As the filtration proceeds, the cake is formed and the resistance increase due to this reaction the flow rate decreases.
3. During filtration operation the filtrate mainly encounters the resistance of the _____
a) Filter medium
D) No resistance
Explanation: Filtration in any filter that forms cake is prone to resistance as the deposited impurity on the cloth or plate as cake is formed.
4. The specific cake resistance for compressible sludge, is a function of the pressure drop _____
a) Over cake
b) Over medium
Explanation: The cake which is formed for a compressible sludge the pressure drop over cake is proportional to it.
5. The controlling resistance in the rotary drum vacuum filter is the _____ resistance.
c) Filter medium
Explanation: The only controlling factor in a rotary drum is the rotary drum is the cake, filter medium is used to reduce cake formation.
6. The cake resistance increases steadily with the time of filtration in plate and frame filter employing constant________ filtration.
Explanation: For a constant rate filtration cake formation is a function of rate at which the filtrate is flowing through the filter.
7. Vibrating screens have capacity in the range of tons/ft2 of ____ mm mesh size.
a) 0.2 to 0.8
b) 4 to 25
c) 50 to 100
d) 100 to 250
Explanation: Vibrating screens have a capacity of 0.2 to 0.8 T/ft2 of materials, as the feed increases above this point efficiency decreases.
8. Addition of filter aid to the slurry before filtration is done to ______ of the cake.
a) Porosity increases
b) Compressibility coefficient increases
c) Porosity decreases
d) Compressibility coefficient decreases
Explanation: The main task of a filter aid is to reduce the compactness of cake i.e. to reduce the porosity and maintain the filtration rate.
9. Sphericity for a non-spherical particle is given by ______
Explanation: The sphericity is mathematically defined as 6V/DS, where involving factors are volume, diameter and surface area.
10. Maximum size reduction in a ball mill is done by the _________ action.
Explanation: The ball mill is based on the phenomenon of the impact, these consists of iron balls that are fed with the material.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Mechanical Operations.
To practice all areas of Mechanical Operations, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.