This set of Engineering Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Oils and Fats – I”.
1. Melting point of fat is _________ and melting point of oil is ________
a) Higher, higher
b) Lower, lower
c) Higher, lower
d) Lower, higher
Explanation: Melting point of fat is higher and melting point of oil is lower. Generally, healthy fats have a high amount of monounsaturated fats as well as polyunsaturated fats and a low amount of saturated fats.
2. Which of the following is an example of fats?
a) Glyceryl trioleate
b) Vegetable ghee
c) Coconut oil
d) Groundnut oil
Explanation: Vegateble ghee is an example of fats. Glyceryl trioleate, Coconut oil and groundnut oil are the examples of oils.
3. Select the incorrect statement from the following option.
a) Oils are saturated triglyceride
b) Oils have lower melting points
c) Oils are liquid at room temperature
d) Examples of oils are glyceryl trioleate, coconut oil, olive oil, etc
Explanation: Oils are partially unsaturated triglyceride which have lower melting point and are liquid at room temperature.
4. Which of the following is not a suitable solvent for oils and fats?
Explanation: Oils and fats are soluble in benzene, CCl4, CHCl3 and other organic solvents.
5. Oils and fats are good conductors of heat and electricity.
Explanation: Oils and fats are poor conductors of heat and electricity. They do not allow heat or electricity to pass through them.
6. Saponification is hydrolysis ____________
a) By alkalis
b) In digestive tracts of human beings
c) By acids
d) By salts
Explanation: Saponification is the alkaline hydrolysis of the fatty acid esters. Example: The chemical reaction between any fat and sodium hydroxide is a saponification reaction.
7. Which of the following act as a catalyst in digestive tracts of human beings?
a) Lewis acid
b) Lewis base
c) Hydrogen peroxide
Explanation: Lipases are the enzymes which act as a catalyst in the hydrolysis in the digestive tracts of human beings.
8. Hydrogenation is the conversion of unsaturated acid groups into the saturated one by a catalyst ____________
Explanation: Hydrogenation is the conversion of unsaturated acid groups into the saturated one by metal Nickel (Ni) catalyst.
9. Vegetable ghee is manufactured by ____________
c) Oxidation polymerisation
d) Reduction polymerisation
Explanation: Vegetable ghee is manufactured by hydrogenation. But due to the trans fatty acids dilemma, partial hydrogenation is no longer viable.
10. Hydrogenolysis is a reaction which leads to the reduction products of ____________
Explanation: Hydrogenolysis is a reaction which leads to the formation of glycerol and reduction products of alcohol.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Engineering Chemistry.
To practice all areas of Engineering Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.