This set of Engineering Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Lubricants”.
1. Lubrication is necessary to protect wear and tear caused due to
a) Electrostatic force
b) Gravitational force
c) Frictional force
d) Magnetic force
Explanation: Lubrication is necessary to protect wear and tear caused due to frictional force. Electrostatic, gravitational and magnetic forces do not cause wear and tear.
2. Lubricant act as a coolant to carry away heat.
Explanation: Lubricant act as a coolant to carry away heat and is generally used in refrigerators and air conditioners.
3. Select the incorrect statement from the following option.
a) Lubricant keep out dirt
b) Lubricant act as a seal
c) Lubricant transmit fluid power
d) Lubricant enhance corrosion
Explanation: Lubricants prevents corrosion. It does not act as a seal or remove dirt and also not transmit fluid power.
4. The viscosity of petroleum oil for hydraulic lifts is
d) Very high
Explanation: The viscosity of petroleum oil for hydraulic lifts is low as it makes it less dense and easier to lift up while carrying the operation.
5. The science of friction, lubrication and wear is called
Explanation: The science of friction, lubrication and wear is called tribology. Morphology and Geology relates to the science of Earth’s crust and rock structure.
6. On increasing the lubrication, the efficiency of the machine
c) Remain same
d) Does not get affected
Explanation: On increasing the lubrication, the efficiency of the machine increases as it increases the speed of the operations and causes less wear and tear.
7. The stearate ion has a ________ carbons long hydrocarbon chain.
Explanation: The stearate ion has a 17 carbons long hydrocarbon chain, which is hydrophobic in nature.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Engineering Chemistry.
To practice all areas of Engineering Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.