This set of Engineering Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Gaseous Fuels – 2”.
1. Which of the following undesirable component is removed from natural gas?
Explanation: The natural gas is processed to remove nitrogen, since it decrease the rate of combustion. Other undesirable products such as water, grit and dust, CO2and H2S are removed from natural gas.
2. Which of the following product can be recovered from natural gas?
Explanation: Sulphur is recovered from H2S containing natural gas. The reaction involved are:
2H2S + 3O2 → 2SO2 + 2H2O
2 H2S + SO2 → 3S + 2H2O.
3. In which region of India maximum natural gas is obtained?
b) Mumbai high
Explanation: India’s proved reserves of natural gas are of the order of 40 km3. Most of the natural gas lies in Assam and Gujrat. Mumbai high has less reserves of natural gas.
4. Which of the following gas can be used as natural gas?
c) Sulphur di-oxide
d) Carbon di-oxide
Explanation: Syngas is a low and medium-heat gas produced from coal and can be converted into high-heat content gas similar to natural gas. This natural gas produced is also called as substitute natural gas (SNG).
5. At what temperature does the substitute natural gas is prepared?
a) 1200-1650 0C
b) 100-400 0C
c) 500-800 0C
d) More than 1700 0C
Explanation: The operating pressure in the gasifier, depending upon the process, can be atmospheric to over 6.9 Mpa. The temperature cane vary from 800 0C to about 1650 0C.
6. In oil gasification, at what ratio does naphtha and water are mixed?
Explanation: Naphtha and other oils can be converted to SNG. The process uses a mixture of naphtha and steam in the ratio of 1:2 and then gasify it. The gas produced is methanated by the reaction of carbon-dioxides with the hydrogen present.
7. Coke-oven gas has a higher calorific value than the coal gas.
Explanation: Coal gas has slightly higher calorific value than the coke-oven gas. Coal gas is manufactured by heating high volatile matter coal taken in silica retorts to about 1350 0C.
8. During the manufacture of coke-oven gas, which of the following is obtained as a by-product?
a) Volatile matter
b) Metallurgical coke
c) Ash content
Explanation: Coke-oven gas is made by heating coking coal in coke-ovens, in which metallurgical coke is obtained as the main product and gas is obtained as by-product. In the manufacture of coal gas, gas is obtained as main product.
9. Which of the following compound is dissolved in oil used in the manufacture of coal gas?
c) Sodium Chloride
d) Tartaric acid
Explanation: Benzol, toluene and other aromatic compounds are dissolved in the creosote oil which is used in the manufacturing of coal gas. The benzol present in the gas produced can be recovered by passing through active charcoal and silica gel.
10. Which of the following oil is used in preparation of oil gas?
a) Lubricating oil
c) Kerosene oil
d) Coconut oil
Explanation: Oil gas consists of a mixture of hydrocarbons. It is prepared by cracking of kerosene oil. Naphtha is used for the production of substitute natural gas.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Engineering Chemistry.
To practice all areas of Engineering Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!