This set of Engineering Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Causes and Effects of Corrosion”.
1. The process of deterioration of a metal due to unwanted chemical or electrochemical interaction of the metal with its environment is called ___________
Explanation: The process of deterioration of a metal due to unwanted chemical or electrochemical interaction of the metal with its environment is called corrosion. It is a natural process, which converts a refined metal to a more stable form, such as its oxide, hydroxide, or sulfide.
2. Which of the following is an example of corrosion?
a) Rusting of iron
b) Tarnishing of silver
c) Liquefaction of ammonia
d) Rusting of iron and tarnishing of silver
Explanation: Rusting of iron and tarnishing of silver are examples of corrosion which is caused by the oxidation process.
3. How many rust will be formed when 100kg of iron have completely rusted away?
a) 100 kg
b) 190 kg
c) 250 kg
d) 320 kg
Explanation: 190 kg of rust will be formed when 100kg of iron have completely rusted away.
4. Metals does not exist in nature in the form of ___________
Explanation: Metals exist in nature in the form of oxides, sulphides, sulphates and carbonates.
5. Which of the following is the most stable state of metal?
a) Ore of metal
b) Pure metal
c) Corroded metal
d) Metal ion
Explanation: Ore of metal is a thermodynamically most stable form of metal. It does not undergo any alteration in the form of ore without the use of any external force.
6. Due to corrosion, useful properties of metals such as malleability, ductility and electrical conductivity are lost.
Explanation: Due to corrosion, useful properties of metals such as malleability, ductility and electrical conductivity are lost. Corrosion deteriorate the metal and alloys and make them useless by altering their properties.
7. Select the incorrect statement from the following option.
a) Replacement of corroded equipment is time-consuming
b) Corrosion causes contamination of product
c) Corrosion increases the electrical conductivity of metals
d) Corrosion causes leakage of toxic liquid or gases
Explanation: Corrosion decreases the electrical conductivity of metals. All the other options are correct.
8. Leakage of inflammable gas from a corroded pipe can cause ___________
d) Fire hazards
Explanation: Leakage of inflammable gas from a corroded pipe can cause fire hazards. It will not cause acidity, alkalinity or turbidity.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Engineering Chemistry.
To practice all areas of Engineering Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.