Pre-requisite / Skillset for Cytogenetics Internship
1. Intern must be aware of fundamental laws of genetics.
2. Types of blood groups and antigen should be known.
3. Should be aware of concepts like sex chromosome, links, disorders and gene mapping.
4. Methods of identification of genetic material should be known.
5. Must be aware of types of genetic transfer.
6. Require adequate knowledge and understanding of methods used to identify and analyze cytogenetic aberrations.
7. Must be familiar with the mechanism of disease expression.
8. Should have the ability to differentiate between normal and abnormal cytogenetic data.
9. Must be aware of background of human Cytogenetics.
10. Require knowledge of chromosomal abnormalities and associated disorders.
11. Must be familiar with the comprehension of traditional and molecular techniques.
Cytogenetics Internship Test
Intern has to take Cytogenetics internship test in which they will be asked 50 multiple-choice questions. They have to score grade A or A* on this test to be eligible for the internship. Here’s a sample set of questions on the Cytogenetics topic.
1. Acyclovir is a drug used to treat viral infection by impairing its replication. Why will it not effect bacterial replication as well?
(A) Bacteria under viral attack don’t replicate
(B) Viral polymerase binds to it and thus can’t perform its function
(C) Virus uses it in a polymerization
(D) Cellular mechanism deactivates it
Explanation: Acyclovir is a GMP analogue that cellular mechanism activates to GTP analogue, which the virus uses as a substrate while polymerizing. However, as it lacks 3’-OH it terminates the replication process. Thus, cellular processes activate this drug, yet its specificity to viral polymerase protects the cell.
2. What is the function of RFC in eukaryotic replication?
(A) Catalytic subunit
(C) Clamp loader
Explanation: RFC or Replication Factor C is the eukaryotic homologue of clamp loader. It loads the PCNA clamp. Eukaryotic replication primer is formed by alpha polymerase while RPA acts as SSB.
3. In an experiment, you are working on mitochondrial chromosomes. Which polymerase will ensure accurate replication?
(A) pol beta
(B) pol delta
(C) pol iota
(D) pol gamma
Explanation: Pol gamma is the mitochondrial DNA polymerase, while pol beta is mainly necessary for repair. Pol iota associates with translesion DNA synthesis. Pol delta is the primary nuclear DNA polymerase.
4. In an experiment, you wanted to see which mutation will have worse effect on transcription. In the 1st set you deleted 94 amino acids from the C-terminus and in the 2nd set you replace the 265th C-terminal arginine to cystine. Which in your opinion will have the worst effect?
(A) 94 amino acid mutant
(B) 265th amino acid mutant
(C) Both will have similar negative effect
(D) No visible effect on rate of transcription
Explanation: This is because the 265th arginine is most important for recognition of the up element. Thus, its deletion alone can have a similar negative effect on transcription to the deletion of 94 amino acids from C terminal end.
5. In a stretch of DNA being transcribed, the region forward to the Elongation is __________
(A) Positively supercoiled
(B) Negatively supercoiled
(D) Forms a secondary structure
Explanation: The region forward to the RNA polymerase elongation machinery is positively supercoiled due to the strain. If the gyrase doesn’t release this strain the polymerizing machinery will stall. Such regions can’t be uncoiled or folded.
Practice the full set of Cytogenetics Multiple Choice Questions before applying for the internship.
How to apply for the Cytogenetics Internship
1. Read the Sanfoundry Internship FAQs
2. Take the Cytogenetics Internship Test
3. Submit the Internship Application Form
3. Cytogenetics Content Development InternshipsIn this content writing / content development internship for Cytogenetics, the shortlisted interns would be working towards the creation of "Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs)" OR "Tutorial Articles" OR "Questions & Answers" on Cytogenetics subject.
Selected intern's day-to-day responsibilities and guidelines include the following.
1. Interns would be creating Questions and/or tutorials articles on "Cytogenetics".
2. Cytogenetics articles must be written with an organized structure with detailed steps and examples.
3. Interns should write clear and concise articles so that the readers can understand them easily.
4. Interns should follow Sanfoundry defined guidelines and format.
5. Interns should report the work status to their mentor on daily basis.
6. Interns should ensure that the content is plagiarism-free.
4. Cytogenetics Realtime ProjectsDepending on the requirements and availability of free slots, Sanfoundry will attempt to provide industry-oriented, live, real-time projects, or industrial visits for deserving candidates of Sanfoundry accredited college. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
5. Cytogenetics Research ProjectsIf applicable, Sanfoundry will attempt to provide guidance to interns on "research projects" and "academic projects" so that they can do the necessary study, experimentation, and simulation to arrive at meaningful conclusions. This will help them write "White Papers", "Research Papers" and "Journal Articles" to be published in various eminent journals. Kindly ask your college authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
6. Cytogenetics Internship Benefits and Perks1. Sanfoundry will issue an internship certificate and a lump sum cash reward as a token of appreciation towards the intern’s contribution to Sanfoundry’s Global Learning Project.
2. This internship with help widen the intern's deep knowledge on the "Cytogenetics" subject.
3. It will help to boost the intern's resume and also give real-time work experience.
4. Sanfoundry certificate is very useful to an individual in their professional career growth.
5. Most of the shortlisted interns will be working directly under the guidance of our Founder & CTO, Manish Sir
7. How to Apply for Cytogenetics InternshipIf you are looking for "Cytogenetics" internship at Sanfoundry, you have to fill an application form. The application form is quite detailed and it allows us to understand the qualities of an intern in a deeper way. So, the best way to fill the application is to allocate 2-4 hours towards reading and filling your application form. You must fill every question seriously and honestly. Also, pay special attention to Grammar and sentence framing.
If you are interested to do an internship in Cytogenetics, then kindly fill this Application Form.
8. FAQs - Cytogenetics InternshipWho can apply for Cytogenetics content writing internship?
Students who had studied Cytogenetics in their official curriculum or taken a meaningful in-depth external training on this subject can apply for this internship.
What type of work will be assigned to intern in this internship?
Interns would be working towards the creation of "Tutorial Articles" and/or "Questions and Answers" on Cytogenetics.
What are the skill sets required for Cytogenetics internship?
We have already mentioned above the technical pre-requisite and skillset required for this internship. Besides, the student should be able to work independently, sincere and hard-working, and a self-starter.
Can I apply for Cytogenetics internship if I don't have any experience?
Yes. Sanfoundry values skills developed through academic work, volunteer experiences, extracurricular experiences, or other experiences which demonstrate the technical skills useful in work. So, people with no experience can also apply for Cytogenetics Internship.
Does Sanfoundry provide Real-time project on Cytogenetics?
Yes, but we accept a limited number of candidates from Sanfoundry accredited colleges for real-time projects. Where ever applicable we will attempt to provide industry-oriented projects or industrial visits to deserving candidates. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
Does Sanfoundry provide research projects or academic projects on Cytogenetics?
Yes, Sanfoundry provides ideas on research projects and/or academic projects on some of the topics in Cytogenetics. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
How can I apply for Cytogenetics internship?
Fill this Application Form to apply for internships in Cytogenetics at Sanfoundry.
9. FAQs - Internship GeneralCan I get academic credit for my internship?
Yes, if you are doing an internship at Sanfoundry, it may be possible to get academic credit for your internship. Since the College authorities issue these credits, kindly check with your department once.
What is the duration of Content Development Internship?
The duration ranges from 1-month to 3-months. The duration can be adjusted based on the academic schedule of your college or school.
How many hours do I have to work as a part-time intern?
If you are working as a part-time intern in Sanfoundry, you would be allocating 3-4 hours/day.
How many hours do I have to work as a full-time intern?
If you are working as a full-time intern in Sanfoundry, you should be allocating 8 hours/day.
What would be the work timings if I get selected?
Work timings depend on you're availability during the day or evening and the type of internship. But you need to report work status on daily basis.
What are the benefits of completing Sanfoundry Internship?
- You will receive an internship certificate and a lumpsum cash reward
- You will gain working experience
Yes, you will receive a confirmation email (with an agreement) from us once you are selected.
How will I know if am selected for the internship?
If you are selected for the internship, you will receive a call/message from us. It generally takes anywhere from 2-days to 2-weeks from the date of your application. However, due to a very large number of internship requests, sometimes the response gets delayed further.
What kind of documents should I submit after accepting the offer?
No documents are required to be submitted.
How will I receive the stipend for "Work-From-Home" internship?
Upon completion of the internship, the stipend will be directly credited into your bank account through NEFT/IMPS.
Do we get paid on a monthly basis?
No, Payment is made only when the internship task is completed.
How long it takes to receive the internship certificate and cash reward, after completion of the internship?
The internship closure process usually takes 7-15 working days.
Can I get a recommendation letter after successful completion of the internship?
Upon successful completion of the internship, you will receive an Internship Certificate. This certificate is written in a letter format which is almost similar to a "Letter of Recommendation".
Can international student apply for an internship in Sanfoundry?
We don't have the required operational setup to work with international students. So, we cannot offer internships to international students at this point in time.
Can I take part in multiple internship programs offered by Sanfoundry at the same time?
No, you can work on only one internship at a time. But after completing the internship you can work on another internship. In fact, a lot of interns keep doing multiple internships with us, one at a time.
Can I discontinue the current internship and join the new internship offered by Sanfoundry?
Yes, you can apply for other internships.
What happens if I discontinue in the middle of my internship?
If the work is partially completed, then Sanfoundry will do the payment on a proportionate basis provided that the intern has completed at least 10% of the work.
Will I receive a certificate and reward if I didn't complete the internship?
Sanfoundry will give a certificate and a proportionate reward if the intern has completed at least 10% of the work.
Whom to contact if I have more query?
Kindly drop an email to [email protected]