This set of Strength of Materials Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Rankine’s Theory due to Slenderness Ratio”.
1. Calculate the elongation of the cable due to load, if a steel cable of 2 cm diameter is used to lift a load of 500 π kg. Given that and the length of cable is 10 m and E = 2×106 kg/cm2.
a) 0.5 cm
b) 0.3 cm
c) 0.25 cm
d) 0.4 cm
Explanation: Change in length = Pl/AE = (500π)×(1000) / π × 2 × 106
Change in length = 0.25 cm.
2. A HYSD steel bar is 400 mm long. The lengths of the parts AB and BC of the bar is 200 mm each. It is loaded as P1 = 2000 kg and P2 = 1000 kg. Take diameter of AB as 2 cm and BC as 1 cm. The ratio of stresses in part AB to stresses in part BC is __________
Explanation: The stress in AB = Pa/Aa = 2000/π/4 ×4 = the stress in BC = Pb/Ab = 1000/π/4 × 1
Pa/Pb = 2000/4 × 1000
3. A retaining wall is related to _______
a) Plane stress
b) Plane strain
c) Normal stress
d) Normal strain
Explanation: In a plane strain problem, the normal strain in the Z-direction. The shear strains must be zero. The normal strains may have non zero values. A retaining wall is the best example for plane strain problem.
4. _________ is a fix direction on the surface.
c) Graduated ring
d) Lift lever
Explanation: Meridian is defined as a fix direction on the surface of the earth. The bearings of the survey lines are measured with reference to the meridians.
5. Which of the following is also known as geographical meridian?
a) True meridian
b) Arbitrary meridian
c) Magnetic meridian
d) Post meridian
Explanation: True meridian is a line or plane passing through the true North Pole and South Pole, any point on the surface of the earth. It is also known as a geographical meridian. The direction of it through a point can be set by astronomical observations.
6. _________ changes with place and time.
b) Magnetic bearing
c) True bearing
d) Arbitrary bearing
Explanation: The magnetic bearing is a horizontal angle made by a survey line with reference to the magnetic meridian. The magnetic bearing changes with respect to place and time.
7. ___________ is provided to avoid undue wear and tear of pivot points.
a) Magnetic needle
b) Lifting pin and lever
c) Object vane
d) Break pin
Explanation: A lifting pin is provided just below the object vane. When the object vane folded over to the glass cover, the lifting pin automatically presses the lifting lever as it avoids wear and tear of a pivot point.
8. ________ stops the oscillations of the graduated ring.
a) Brake pin
b) Eye vane
c) Object vane
d) Graduated ring
Explanation: A brake pin is provided just at the base of the object vane. If pressed gently, it moves the spring brake inside the compass box, which stops the oscillation of the graduated ring.
9. The series of connected lines is known as ____________
Explanation: The branch of surveying which involves a series of connected lines is known as traversing. The sides of the traverse are known as traverse legs. Traversing may be of two types, closed and open.
10. The time for which water is written in a settling tank is known as ________
a) Virtual time
b) Actual time
c) Detention time
d) Active time
Explanation: Detention time is a time for which water is detained in the settling tank.
D.T = capacity of the task/rates of flow of a wave
= volume / discharge.
11. What is a detention time for mechanically cleaned tanks?
a) 2 to 3 hours
b) 2.5 to 4 hours
c) 1.5 to 3 hours
d) 4 to 6 hours
Explanation: The velocity of flow can be reduced by increasing the area of flow and the detention time taken by a mechanically cleaned tank is 1.5 to 3 hours.
12. The rate of filtration for rapid sand filter is ___________
a) 3000 to 4500 lit/hr/m2
b) 4500 to 6500 lit/hr/m2
c) 3000 to 6000 lit/hr/m2
d) 4500 to 7000 lit/hr/m2
Explanation: The efficiency of rapid sand filter is 95% the rate of filtration is large and ranges from 3000 to 6000 lit/hr/m2 of filter area and size of unit is small.
13. Which of the following processes is known as zeolite?
a) Demineralization process
b) Deionized water
c) Lime soda process
d) Base exchange process
Explanation: Base Exchange process is also known as the zeolite or cation exchange process. In this process, the hard water is allowed to pass through a bed of zeolite sand (complex silicates of aluminium and sodium). This process is widely adopted.
14. The ratio of the yield of water from a rapid sand filter is __________
Explanation: The efficiency of removal of bacteria by the rapid sand filter is 95% and the ratio of the yield of water from rapid sand filter is 30. The backwash arrangement is made only in case of a rapid sand filter.
15. _________ is a property of the free surface of a liquid.
b) Surface tension
d) Specific gravity
Explanation: The property by which the free surface of a liquid acts as a stretched membrane with a minimum surface area can be termed as surface tension.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Strength of Materials.
To practice all areas of Strength of Materials, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.