This set of Strength of Materials Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Strain Energy”.
1. Resilience can also be termed as ___
a) Stress energy
b) Strain energy
Explanation: The capability of a material to absorb energy when it is deformed elastically and release that energy upon unloading is known resilience. This resilience is also termed as Strain energy.
2. Mathematically, strain energy = ______
b) Work done
c) Young’s Modulus
Explanation: By the principle of work, the amount of strain energy in a body is found. When a load acts on a body there will be deformation, which causes movement of the applied load. Thus work is done by the applied load.
3. Calculate the Strain energy stored in a body of stress 0.0366 N/mm2. The cross sectional area is 60 m2and length of body is 1 m. Take E = 2×105 N/mm2 .
a) 0.2009 N.mm
b) 0.0416 N.mm
c) 0.0987 N.mm
d) 0.1316 N.mm
Explanation: Given that : l = 1000 mm ; A = 60000 mm2; f = 0.0366 N/mm2.
Strain energy stored = f2/2EI × Volume
= (0.0366)2/ 2×2×105× (200×300) × (1000)
= 0 2009 N.mm.
4. What are the units of measurement for wooden and steel trusses?
a) 1 RM
b) 1 N.o
Explanation: The units of measurement for wooden and steel trusses is 1 N.o
|Description of work||Units of measurement|
|Earth work excavation||1 m3|
|Steel reinforcement||1 kN|
|Wooden and steel trusses||1 No|
5. Which of the following methods is also known as individual wall method?
a) Centre line method
b) Alignment method
c) Long wall and short wall method
d) Voluminous method
Explanation: Long wall short wall method is tedious and long lasting. In this method, the length of wall running in one direction are measured first out to out and that of running in the perpendicular direction are measured in to in.
6. Centre line method is accurate method?
Explanation: The estimates can be prepared quickly by using centre line method. This is not only accurate method but also very quick method.
7. _______ gives the nature and class of work.
Explanation: Drawings cannot give every information about materials and quality. The specifications give the nature and class of work, quantity of materials and workmanship. They are very useful during execution of work.
8. In foundation concrete coarse aggregate size should be ___
a) 20 mm
b) 30 mm
c) 40 mm
d) 50 mm
Explanation: Generally foundation concrete is laid about thickness of 30 cm with proportion 1:4:8 (or) 1:5:10 and are measured in m3.
Before laying the concrete bed level, sand filling and sinking must be done and checked properly.
9. What is the painting coefficient for flush doors?
Explanation: The painting coefficient for flush doors is 2.4.
|Description||Multiplying factor of Paint coefficient|
|Fully glazed doors||1.6|
|Fully ventilated doors||3.6|
10. Which of the following rules is known as “Prismoidal Rule”?
a) Mean sectional rule
b) Trapezoidal rule
c) Simpson’s rule
d) Mid sectional rule
Explanation: Prismoidal rule is used when the shape of the solid between two parallel cross sections is in the shape of a prismoid. This is also known as Simpsons rule volume is calculated by
V = L/6 (A1 + 4A + A2).
11. Which of the following estimates is also known as preliminary estimate?
a) Detailed estimate
b) Scientific estimate
c) Approximate estimate
d) Abstract estimate
Explanation: An approximate estimate is prepared to decide whether the funds available for the proposal is sufficient or not. The estimate is accompanied by detailed report explaining the necessity and utility of the proposal.
12. Service unit method is related to ____ estimate.
d) Cubic content
Explanation: There are over number of methods available for preparing approximate estimate but the following methods are important
1. Plinth area method
2. Cubic content method
3. Service unit method.
13. By ____ estimate, technical sanction is obtained.
Explanation: Detailed estimate is required for arranging the contract and entering into agreement. In this estimate, the quantities are worked out in the order in which construction proceeds. For getting technical sanction, the detailed estimate is prepared.
14. Which of the following is a exact estimate?
Explanation: In detailed estimate, the quantities of each item of work such as earth excavation, bed concrete and brick masonry are calculated. Detailed drawings are required for this estimate.
15. Calculate the instantaneous elongation if a steel rod of 40 mm and 4 m long subjected to an axial pull of 80 kN. Take E = 2×105 N/mm2.
a) 1.23 mm
b) 1.27 mm
c) 1.31 mm
d) 1.43 mm
Explanation: An instantaneous elongation = f/A × L ; and f = P/A = 80000/1256.63 = 63.66 N/mm2.
= 63.66/1256.63 × 4000
= 1.27 mm.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Strength of Materials.
To practice all areas of Strength of Materials, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.