This set of Strength of Materials Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Rankine’s Theory of Column”.
1. ___________ formula can be used only for long columns.
Explanation: Euler’s formula is used only for long columns and l/k > 80 for mild steel columns.
Where l = effective length of column
k = radius of gyration.
2. In Euler’s formula, the column fails due to ___ alone.
Explanation: In Euler’s formula, the column material is perfectly elastic, homogeneous, isotropic and obeys Hooke’s law. The self weight of column is ignorable and column fails due to buckling alone.
3. The ___ joints are friction less.
Explanation: A pinned joint offers resistance against horizontal and vertical movements but not against rotation. The deflection developed is zero (y = 0) and fixed ends are rigid.
4. ______ formula is used for determining short as well as long columns.
Explanation: The Rankine’s formula for crushing load = Pcr = fA/1+€(l/k)2
Where; f = allowable crushing stress
A = area of cross section
K = least radius of gyration
€ = Rankine’s constant
• Rankine formula can be used for short columns as well as long columns.
5. ________ attached to a Framework suspended from the main structure.
Explanation: A suspended ceiling attached to a framework suspended from the main structure. It provides a void between the underside of the main structure and ceiling. General it is provided to conceal the unevenness of roof.
6. _________ type of ceiling is adopted in modern hotels and auditorium.
a) Plaster board
b) Fibre board
d) Joint less
Explanation: Plaster board ceiling is adopted because of its ease of fixing and elimination of plaster mixer for the over head work. Plasterboard consists of gypsum plaster form in sheets 2.5 m × 0.75 m and compressed give strength.
7. Upper floor is also known as ________
a) Basement floor
b) Suspended floor
c) Supported floor
d) Rigid floor
Explanation: Any floor above the level of ground floor is termed as upper or suspended floor. Floors are named as ascending order. The name of the building in respect of the storeys is governed by the number of floors it possess.
8. Paving is also known as ___________
a) Floor covering
b) Sub floor
c) Sub grade
d) Wearing course
Explanation: The upper position of a floor structure consisting of base and topping is called floor covering or paving. The purpose of floor covering is to have a clean, smooth, non absorbent and durable surface.
9. _________ floors are used in modern residential and religious buildings?
a) Cement concrete
Explanation: Terrazzo floors consist of the terrazzo finish at top. Generally it consists of wearing layer of the terrazzo mixture about 6 mm thick laid on and under layer. It furnishes attractive and durable floor.
10. Scaffolding has to be done, if the height of structure is above _________
Explanation: A temporary platform provided with necessary supports close to the work, provides limited space for the workers, building materials, tools etc. is termed as scaffolding. It is generally adopted for construction of masonry work above ground level 1.5 m.
11. _____ scaffolding is used where it is not possible to fix the standards into the ground.
d) Brick layers
Explanation: Cantilever scaffolding consists of platform supported by a series of cantilever or needle beams, passing through window openings or through holes left in the walls. They used it, when it is not possible to fix the standards into the ground.
12. ________ scaffolding is used for light construction and finishing works.
b) Brick layers
Explanation: Suspended scaffolding is cheap type and does not cause any obstruction on the ground. it is considered most effective as optimum level for working. It is used for finishing works like painting, distempering and whitewashing etc.
13. The step with one or both ends rounded is known as _____
a) Point faced step
c) Newel step
d) Bull nose step
Explanation: The step with one or both ends rounded is known as Bull nose step. This type of step is generally provided at the bottom of a flight and remains always projecting beyond the face of the new post.
14. A step of uniform width is called filier?
Explanation: A step of uniform width is called filier. This type of step is usually rectangular in plan. These steps are always preferred even at turning points of stair as they are safe for quick movement of the users.
15. The step of non uniform width is called ________
Explanation: The step of non uniform width is called as winder. These types of steps are usually triangle in plan. Such steps are only provided for changing the direction of a stair.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Strength of Materials.
To practice all areas of Strength of Materials, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.