This set of Strength of Materials Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Slope”.
1. Slope in the beam at any point is measured in ______
d) Metric tonnes
Explanation: The slope is defined as at any point on the bent beam is the angle measured in terms of radians to which the tangent at that point makes with the x axis.
2. Elastic curve is also known as _____
a) Refraction curve
b) Reflection curve
c) Deflection curve
d) Random curve
Explanation: An elastic curve is defined as the line to which the longitudinal axis of a beam deviates under given load. It is also called as deflection curve.
3. Which of the following method is not used for determining slope and deflection at a point?
a) Moment area method
b) Double integration method
c) Isoheytal method
d) Macaulay’s method
Explanation: The method “Isoheytal” can be used for calculating run-off over an area. The remaining methods are effectively adopted to calculate the slope and deflection at a point in any type of beam.
4. The slope is denoted by _______
Explanation: The slope at any section in a deflection beam is defined as the angle measured in radians to the tangent at the section makes with the original axis of the beam.
•It is denoted by “i”.
5. Calculate the slope at supports, if the area is 180kNm2. Take flexural rigidity as 50000.
a) 0.0054 radians
b) 0.0072 radians
c) 0.0036 radians
d) 0.108 radians
Explanation: Maximum slope at supports be i = A/EI
i = 0.0036 radians.
6. In cantilever beams, the slope is _____________ at fixed end.
Explanation: The slope in cantilever beam is zero at the fixed end of the cantilever and the slope is maximum at it’s free end. The slope is determined in moment area method through Mohr’s theorems.
7. Slope is maximum at _______ in simply supported beams.
a) Mid span
b) Through out
d) At point of loading
Explanation: In case simply supported beams, the slope is maximum at the end supports of the beam and relatively zero at midspan of a symmetrically loaded beam.
8. Mohr’s theorem- 1 states ________
Explanation: According to Mohr’s theorem-1, the change of slope between any of the two points on and Elastic axis is equal to the net area of bending moment diagram (A) between these two points divided by flexural rigidity(EI).
9. Using Mohr’s theorem, calculate the maximum slope of a cantilever beam if the bending moment area diagram is 90kNm2. Take EI = 4000 kNm2.
a) 0.0225 radians
b) 0 0367 radians
c) 0.0455 radians
d) 0.066 radians
Explanation: The maximum slope at free support (in cantilever beam) = i = A/EI
= 0.0225 radians.
10. Contour canals are also called as ______
a) Single bank canal
b) Ridge canal
c) Side slope canal
d) Watershed canal
Explanation: In this method, the canal is aligned along the falling contour. Generally higher side is left without bank. So it is also called as single bank canal. The contour canal cuts across the natural drainage courses.
11. ______ provides employment to the cultivators at the time of famine.
a) Productive canal
b) Link canal
c) Protective canal
d) Inundation canal
Explanation: The construction of protective canals and their development may be started during summer in hence they provide employment to the farmers at the time of drought and famine. Protective canals are not remunerative as productive canals.
12. ______ bricks are used in lining of blast furnaces.
d) Fly ash
Explanation: Dolomite bricks are made especially from dolomite it contains nearly 30% lime and 22% of magnesium these bricks are inferior to magnesite bricks. They are generally used in lining of blast furnaces.
13. _____ bricks are resistant to corrosion.
a) silica bricks
b) magnesia bricks
c) bauxite bricks
d) fire bricks
Explanation: Bauxite bricks contain nearly 75% of aluminium and it is mixed with fire clay 15 to 30% and added some water to mould. High alumina bricks are resistant to corrosion.
14. _____ bricks are used in lining of electric furnace
Explanation: The spinal bricks belong to neutral bricks. The spinel bricks mainly consist of alumina and magnesia. These bricks are widely used in lining of electric furnace.
15. The finished product after burning magnesite is named as ___
Explanation: The heating of magnesia bricks is continued in the same kiln after reaching the temperature 1950°C, and then some amount of iron oxide is mixed. The finished product after burning magnesite is named as perillax.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Strength of Materials.
To practice all areas of Strength of Materials, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.