This set of Power Systems Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Capacitance of a Two-Wire Line”
1. The presence of ozone while the corona has occurred, can be found using ________
b) hissing noises
c) faint luminous glow of bluish colour
d) all of the mentioned
Explanation: The ozone can be easily detected by all the mentioned effects occurring in the system.
2. The corona has only disadvantages to the transmission system.
Explanation: Corona is helpful while the surges are there.
3. The very peculiar advantage of corona in the circuit can be ___________
a) reduction in steepness of surge fronts
b) improvement of power factor
c) reduction in radio interference
d) reduction in steepness, radio interference and improvement of PF
Explanation: Corona reduces the surge occurring in the system.
4. When the ozone gas is produced as a by product of corona, that causes _______
a) corrosion of wires
b) reduction of power factor
c) increase of power factor
d) improvement of regulation
Explanation: Ozone gas corrodes the metals.
5. Critical voltage limit of the transmission line can be increased by ____________
a) increasing conductor’s radius
b) increasing conductor spacing
c) reducing conductor spacing
d) reducing radius of conductor
Explanation: Vα 1/r.
6. In a transmission system, the transmission parameters of distribution is/are ___________
c) capacitance and shunt conductance
d) resistance, inductance, capacitance and shunt conductance
Explanation: R, L, C, G are the distribution constants.
7. Following effects of the transmission lines
(i) Skin effect
The effective resistance of the conductor is increased by __________
a) (i), (ii)
b) (i), (iii)
c) (ii), (iii)
d) (i), (ii), (iii)
Explanation: Effective resistance increases by skin effect, corona as well as proximity effect.
8. _______ is neglected while carrying out short transmission line analysis.
a) Shunt admittance
b) Power losses
c) Series impedance
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: Shunt admittance is neglected.
9. We transpose high voltages especially while transmitting so that the __________
a) phase voltage imbalances can be minimised
b) corona losses are reduced
c) voltage drop is minimised
d) all of the mentioned
Explanation: Transposition reduces the phase voltage imbalances by cancelling their effects.
10. While modelling a short transmission line of the overhead lines, line resistance and inductances are only considered because the line capacitance is ___________
b) finite but small
c) finite but large
Explanation: Capacitance for such a distance is small and negligible.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Power Systems.
To practice all areas of Power Systems, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.