This set of Engineering Metrology Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Universal Measuring Instrument”.
1. Which of the following instrument is of the highest accuracy?
a) Digital length gauge
b) Inside micrometer
c) Universal measuring instrument
d) Universal height micrometer
Explanation: Universal measuring instrument is of the highest accuracy due to the presence of sensors, micro switches and microprocessors.
2. Which of the following option is incorrect about the universal measuring instrument?
a) Twin digital display is present
b) Highly skilled operator is required
c) Computation capabilities
d) Automatically sense diameter of bores
Explanation: Twin display is present one in the front and other in the side for easy reading. Low skilled operator is required as it has automatic computation capabilities which eliminate possibilities of operator’s error.
3. Which of the following statement is true for following statements about universal measuring instrument?
Statement 1: Microprocessor and micro switches are present.
Statement 2: Coefficient of thermal expansion of measuring instrument made of steel is the same as a component to be measured.
a) F, T
b) T, T
c) F, F
d) T, F
Explanation: Same coefficient of thermal expansion of measuring instrument and component to be measured hence, there is no effect of temperature variation on measuring accuracy.
4. What is the permissible measuring speed in universal measuring instrument for error free reading?
a) 1 m/sec
b) 1 mm/sec
c) 1 cm/sec
d) 2 cm/sec
Explanation: 1 m/second is the permissible measuring speed for error free reading. These instruments saves inspection time with high accuracy.
5. How many push buttons are needed for convenient and easy operations?
Explanation: There are 5 push button keys are present near readout for easy measurement. Functions of these 5 buttons are: selection of measuring program, input of probe constant, changing reference datum, addition and subtraction and zero setting.
6. Which of the following is correct about electronic display unit of universal measuring instrument?
a) Sensitive to electrical interference
c) Cast iron protection cover
d) It is plug-in type
Explanation: It is insensitive to electrical interference and oil film. It is easily interchangeable. There is an aluminium protection cover for an electronic display unit.
7. A universal measuring instrument can withstand up to which temperature for correct reading?
Explanation: Display unit can withstand temperature up to 50oC and 95% relative humidity.
8. Which of the following option is correct for given statements about universal measuring instrument?
Statement 1: There is a rack and pinion movement in measuring slide.
Statement 2: An independent power supply unit is screwed to the base.
a) Only statement 1 is true
b) Only statement 2 is true
c) Both the statements are true
d) Both the statements are not true
Explanation: There is no rack and pinion movement or backlash in EDU. It is completely independent and interchangeable. A power supply unit is screwed with 4 screws to the base.
9. What is the range of voltage fluctuations which can be taken care by an electronic unit in universal measuring instrument?
a) 18% to 20%
b) -10% to +50%
c) -18% to +20%
d) 10% to 50%
Explanation: An interrupted power supply is provided to the electronic unit by power supply unit. It takes cares from – 18 to +20% fluctuations of voltage.
10. Match the following:
Column 1: Part of instrument
Column 2: information regarding a instrument
A) Accessories - 1) Tungsten carbide coating B) Supporting pads - 2) Balance counter weight C) Handwheel - 3) Cast iron D) Base - 4) Built-in microswitch
a) A-2, B-1, C-4, D-3
b) A-1, B-2, C-3, D-4
c) A-3, B-4, C-1, C-2
d) A-4, B-3, C-2, D-1
Explanation: Accessories are designed to balance with the counter weight. 3 supporting pads are present with tungsten carbide coating except at the top which can be lapped. Built-in microswitches are present in hand wheel which compensate automatically for probe constant.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Engineering Metrology.
To practice all areas of Engineering Metrology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.