This set of Engineering Metrology Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Bench Micrometer”.
1. Which of the following is incorrect about bench micrometer?
a) Anvil retractor device
b) High precision micrometer head
c) Non-adjustable work table
d) Interchangeable dial indicator
Explanation: Work table is adjustable and an accurate alignment of work is provided by adjusting the table. For repeated measurements, anvil retractor device is present.
2. Up to which comparator measurements, dial indicator of bench micrometer can be used?
a) 1 micron
b) 2 micron
c) 3 micron
d) 4 micron
Explanation: A super precision dial indicator is used for comparator measurement. Micrometer head is also highly précised with direct readings in 25 mm units.
3. What is the range of comparator in bench micrometer with dial comparator?
a) ±50 µm
b) ±100 µm
c) ±150 µm
d) ±200 µm
Explanation: Range of bench micrometer and comparator in bench micrometer with dial comparator is 0-25 mm and ±50 µm respectively.
4. What is the accuracy deviation of dial comparator bench micrometer when setting with gauge block?
a) ≤2 µm
b) ≥2 µm
c) ≤1 µm
d) ≥1 µm
Explanation: Use of gauge block increase accuracy of bench micrometer and its accuracy deviation is less than or equal to 1 µm.
5. Which of the following option is correct for given statements about dial comparator bench micrometer?
Statement 1: Moving parts are of satin chrome finish.
Statement 2: Extra large thimble is present.
a) T, F
b) F, T
c) T, T
d) F, F
Explanation: For easy and fast measurement, moving parts and scale are satin chromed finished. Thimble is large so that graduations are widely spaced.
6. What is the thimble diameter in dial comparator bench micrometer?
a) 5 mm
b) 10 mm
c) 20 mm
d) 30 mm
Explanation: Thimble diameter is large so that graduations can be read easily. Its diameter is about 30 mm.
7. Which of the following is correct about dial comparator bench micrometer?
a) Not ideal for small precision parts
b) Immovable anvil
c) Small thimble
d) Non rotating spindle
Explanation: Anvil can be movable. It is mounted on a long guide way. Micrometer screw contains a non- rotating spindle which is precisely grounded.
8. What is the value of measuring pressure in dial comparator bench micrometer?
a) 7.5 N
b) 8.5 N
c) 9.5 N
d) 10 N
Explanation: Measuring pressure in dial comparator bench micrometer is about 7.5 N. Spindle thread pitch is 1 mm. Throat depth is about 32 mm.
9. Which of the following option is correct about bench micrometer?
Statement 1: Friction free motion transfer between anvil and indicator.
Statement 2: Anvil is retractable by trigger control.
a) Statement 1 is correct
b) Statement 2 is correct
c) Both the statements are correct
d) Both the statements are incorrect
Explanation: There is a mechanism for linear friction free motion transfer between anvil and indicator. This is to achieve high accuracy. Retracting of the anvil is done by trigger control. Work is placed between spindle and anvil after retracting and then released.
10. What is the workrest diameter in bench micrometer with dial comparator?
a) 12 mm
b) 14 mm
c) 16 mm
d) 18 mm
Explanation: Workrest diameter is 14 mm with 12 mm height adjustment. Work rests between spindle and anvil. It can be raised to a selected height by using an adjustable work table.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Engineering Metrology.
To practice all areas of Engineering Metrology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.