This set of Distillation Design Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Constant Reflux Ratio”.
1. Which one of the following is a constant reflux process?
a) Flash distillation
b) Simple distillation
c) Multicomponent distillation
d) Final distillation
Explanation: Simple or batch distillation is working on the constant reflux in such a distillation compositions continuously vary with time.
2. Batch distillation under constant reflux can be analyzed?
c) – dy=dZ
Explanation: –dw = dD where,W= Still moles and D= moles of distillate.
3. The initial mole Yint fraction of gas, can be obtained by
c) – dy=dZ
Explanation: Yint fraction of gas can be obtained by Xd/R+1, Where Yint=value of y at x =0.
4. As the distillation proceeds, the L/V ratio
Explanation: The distillation and the L/V ratio are directly proportional and thus as distillation proceeds L/V Increases.
5. Calculate V? If D = 52.2 moles and R is 1.64
a) 138 moles
b) 35 moles
c) 450 moles
d) 46 moles
Explanation: As the V = D(R+1) = 52.2 (1.64+1) = 138 moles.
6. If the area of the column is 3.61 m2 and the initial and final distilled moles are 0.95 and 0.50 with Withdrawal of 100 moles, then V is?
Explanation: As V= W0 (Xd – X0) (Area) = 100 (0.95-0.50)3.61 = 162 moles.
7. The Antoine equation is given as
a) ln VP = B –A/CT
b) ln VP =A – B/T
c) ln VP = B – A/T
d) ln VP = B -CA
Explanation: The Antoine equation is ln VP =A – B/T where A, B and C are constants and VP is the vapor pressure.
8. Find R? If Xd = 0.98 and Yi =0.647
Explanation: As R = Xd/ Yi – 1 = 0.98/0.647 – 1 = 0.515.
9. The Ract can be taken, as
b) 1.6 Rmin
c) 2.0 Rmin
d) 3.0 Rmin
Explanation: For a particulate separation the actual reflux ratio is taken as to be twice the actual reflux ratio i.e. Rmin.
10. Calculate feed line q? If HV=31,067, HF=34,601 and Hl= 0
Explanation: As q = ( HV- HF)/( HV- Hl) = (34,067-34,601)/(34,067-0) = -0.114.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Distillation Design.
To practice all areas of Distillation Design, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.