This set of Operating System Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Security – User Authentication”.
1. Which of the following are forms of malicious attack ?
a) Theft of information
b) Modification of data
c) Wiping of information
d) All of the mentioned
2. What are common security threats ?
a) File Shredding
b) File sharing and permission
c) File corrupting
d) File integrity
Explanation: Sharing and associated permissions are usual exploits which can compromised the system.
3. From the following, which is not a common file permission ?
4. Which of the following is a good practice ?
a) Give full permission for remote transferring
b) Grant read only permission
c) Grant limited permission to specified account
d) Give both read and write permission but not execute
Explanation: Limited access is a key method to circumvent unauthorized access and exploits.
5. What is not a good practice for user administration ?
a) Isolating a system after a compromise
b) Perform random auditing procedures
c) Granting privileges on a per host basis
d) Using telnet and FTP for remote access
Explanation: Telnet and FTP are not encrypted and can be compromised.
6. Which of the following is least secure method of authentication ?
a) Key card
c) retina pattern
Explanation: Passwords can be be compromised more easily than to replicate a physical thing like key card, fingerprint or retina.
7. Which of the following is a strong password ?
c) [email protected]
Explanation: It has a combination of Alphabet both capital and small along with number and special character. Thus always use complex password with combination of all these.
8. Why is one time password safe ?
a) It is easy to generated
b) It cannot be shared
c) It is different for every access
d) It is a complex enctypted password
Explanation: One time password is safe since it is generated per access and thus cannot be brute forced or deduced.
9. What does Light Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) doesn’t store ?
d) Security Keys
10. What is characteristic of RADIUS system ?
a) It is essential for centralized encryption and authentication
b) It works on Network layer to deny access to unauthorized people
c) It provides centralized authentication mechanism via network devices
d) It’s a strong File access system
11. Which happens first authorization or authentication ?
c) Authorization & Authentication are same
d) None of the mentioned
12. What is characteristics of Authorization ?
a) RADIUS and RSA
b) 3 way handshaking with syn and fin
c) Multilayered protection for securing resources
d) Deals with privileges and rights
13. What forces the user to change password at first logon ?
a) Default behavior of OS
b) Part of AES encryption practice
c) Devices being accessed forces the user
d) Account administrator
Explanation: Its administrator’s job to ensure that password of the user remains private and is known only to user. But while making a new user account he assigns a random general password to give it to user. Thus even administrator cannot access a particular users account.
14. What is not a best practice for password policy ?
a) Deciding maximum age of password
b) Restriction on password reuse and history
c) Password encryption
d) Having change password every 2 years
Explanation: Old passwords are more vulnerable to being misplaced or compromised. Passwords should be changed periodically to enhance security.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Operating System.
To practice all areas of Operating System, here is complete set on 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers on Operating System.