This set of Wireless & Mobile Communications Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Cordless Telephone Systems”.
1. Which of the following is a protocol used for cordless telephone system?
Explanation: PACS (Personal Access Communication System) is a protocol used for cordless telephone system. ERMES and FLEX are used by paging system. And IS-95 is used for cellular system.
2. In which frequency range do the cordless phones mostly work?
a) 43-50 MHz
b) 88-108 MHz
c) 540-1600 KHz
d) 200-540 KHz
Explanation: Cordless phones mostly operate in the frequency range of 43-50 MHz. The frequency range of FM is 88-108 MHz and for AM is 540-1600 KHz.
3. Which of the following is the drawback for cordless telephones?
a) Wireless technology
b) Limited coverage area
Explanation: Cordless telephone systems are wireless, but they have a disadvantage of limited coverage area with cell size of approx. 300 m. Being digital, they have very less chance of eaves dropping.
4. Which of the following is a fully digital cordless system?
Explanation: Digital enhanced cordless telecommunication (DECT) is a fully digital system established in 1991. CT0, Ct1, Ct1+ were analog systems established in 1980, 1984 and 1987 respectively.
5. Which of the following is an example of local wireless system?
b) Cordless telephone system
Explanation: GSM, UMTS and EDGE covers worldwide area whereas cordless system has vey less coverage area.
6 Which of the following is not a standard for cordless telephony?
Explanation: CT-2 is a cordless telephone standard used in Europe and Asia. DECT and PHS (Personal Handyphone System) are cordless telephone standards used in Europe and Japan respectively. UMTS is a cellular system standard.
7. What is the range of cell diameter of DECT?
a) 300 m
b) 2 km
c) 10 km
d) 70 km
Explanation: DECT has the cell diameter of 300 m from the base station while GSM is designed for outdoor use with a cell diameter of 70 km.
8. Which of the following standard of cordless telephone system is also approved as a 3G standard?
Explanation: DECT fulfills the IMT 2000 requirements and is approved as a 3G standard by ITU (International Telecommunication Union).
9. Cordless telephone system will not work under which of the following criteria?
a) Within a home
b) Within a building
c) Within campus
d) Within a city
Explanation: Cordless telephones are used in homes, in offices, on campus, at trade shows. But due to their limited coverage they cannot cover a whole city.
10. Which of the following is not an application of DECT?
a) Multimedia processing
b) Cordless private branch exchange
c) Wireless local loop
d) Home cordless phones
Explanation: Users in a neighborhood served by a telephone company wired local loop can be connected by a cordless phone that exchanges signals with a neighborhood antenna.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Wireless & Mobile Communications.
To practice all areas of Wireless & Mobile Communications, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.