This set of Materials Science Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Stress Transformation”.
1. How many shear stress components can act on a 3-D object?
Explanation: On a 3-dimensional body, total 9 stress components can act, out of which 3 are normal stress components while 6 of the other are tangential or shear stress component.
2. Which type of stress is plane stress?
a) One dimensional
b) Two dimensional
c) Zero dimensional
d) Three dimensional
Explanation: Plane stress is a two-dimensional stress in which stress components on any one direction is zero. For eg. All the stress components pertaining to z component is zero.
3. Principal plane is the plane in which ___________
a) Shear stress is maximum
b) Normal stress is zero
c) Shear stress is zero
d) It doesn’t depend upon stresses
Explanation: Principle planes are those planes where the value of shear stress is equal to zero and maximum or minimum value of normal stress is present at these points.
4. In a Mohr’s circle drawn on the x-y plane, which axis is the axis where normal stress is plotted?
b) Y- axis
d) Normal stress isn’t related to Mohr’s circle
Explanation: In a Mohr’s circle, the x-axis or the horizontal axis in the x-y plane is the axis on which normal stress is plotted on. This axis is also called the abscissa.
5. In a Mohr’s circle drawn on the x-y plane, which axis is the axis where shear stress is plotted?
b) Y- axis
d) Shear stress isn’t related to Mohr’s circle
Explanation: In a Mohr’s circle, the y-axis or the vertical axis in the x-y plane is the axis on which normal stress is plotted on. This axis is called the ordinate.
6. Which of following is not a graphical method for representing stress?
a) Lame’s stress ellipsoid
b) Cauchy’s stress quadric
c) Lame’s stress circle
d) Mohr’s circle
Explanation: Lame’s stress circle cannot be used for graphical representation of stresses while Lame’s stress ellipsoid, Mohr’s circle and Cauchy’s stress quadric are used for graphically representing stress.
7. Double angle method is a method to solve the problem in Lame’s stress ellipsoid.
Explanation: Double angle method cannot be used to solve Lame’s stress ellipsoid problems, it is used in case of Mohr’s circle. This method mainly has two rule you need to follow.
8. Principal stress is only the minimum stress.
Explanation: Principal stresses are maximum and minimum stresses which act on the body and planes on which they act are called the principal plane.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Materials Science.
To practice all areas of Materials Science, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.