This set of Materials Science Questions and Answers for Aptitude test focuses on “Various Mechanical Properties”.
1. Up till which point will a body regain its original shape?
a) Yield point
b) Elastic limit
c) Fracture limit
d) Ultimate tensile strength point
Explanation: Elastic limit is a point up till which the body can regain its original shape even after deformation and change in shape. After this point the body cannot regain its original shape.
2. Plasticity increases with temperature.
Explanation: Plasticity increase with temperature. Metals have high plasticity at high temperature. Mainly manufacturing processes like forming, drawing, extrusion etc. are done after considering plasticity.
3. Which of the following is not an evidence of plastic action on the material?
b) Plastic flow
Explanation: When a body is acted upon by plastic actions, one of the following can be seen out of yield, plastic flow and creep. Fatigue isn’t an evidence left after plastic action on a body.
4. Which of the following is the property because of which a material can be drawn into wires?
Explanation: Ductility is the physical property by which the material can be drawn in wires. None of the other options matched this definition.
5. What is the unit of impact strength?
Explanation: The SI Unit for impact strength is expressed as MN/m2. The unit in the numerator is taken in mega newton as the force acting is very high in case of impact strength.
6. Arrange the following in increasing order of hardness: talc, gypsum, topaz diamond.
a) Talc, gypsum, topaz, diamond
b) Gypsum, topaz, talc, diamond
c) Diamond, topaz, talc, gypsum
d) Topaz, gypsum, talc, diamond
Explanation: Talc, gypsum, topaz and diamond is the correct order in which it is arranged in increasing order of hardness.
7. How is brittleness related to impact strength?
a) Brittleness is directly proportional to impact strength
b) Brittleness is inversely proportional to impact strength
c) Brittleness is directly proportional to a square of impact strength
d) Brittleness is inversely proportional to a square of impact strength
Explanation: Brittleness is inversely proportional to the value of impact strength of the body that is more the impact strength less is the brittleness and vice versa.
8. Which of the following properties is impact strength indicative of?
Explanation: Impact strength is indicative of toughness of material and is given by how much energy the material can absorb while going through plastic deformation.
9. Which of the following is not a correct designation of impact strength?
Explanation: The first two letter signify that it is impact strength and KC are used for that. The third letter signifies the type of notch used, for example, U notch signify that the notch is U shaped.
10. KCU is used more than the other KCT and KCV.
Explanation: This statement is true as KCU is more broadly used for impact strength while KCT and KCV are used in special cases.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Materials Science.
To practice all areas of Materials Science for Aptitude test, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.