This set of Engineering Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Engineering Materials”.
1. Based on the important category, concrete and fibre glass are the examples of
Explanation: Example of ceramic are Al2O3 and ZrO2, Polymers are Thermoplastic and Thermosets, Composites are Fibre glass and Concrete and Semi-conductors are Silicon and Germanium.
2. Which of the following is not an inorganic functional material?
b) Reverse micelles
c) Magnetic field sensor
d) Light detectors
Explanation: Reverse micelles is an organic functional material.
3. Which of the following is not an aerospace material?
c) Aluminium alloys
Explanation: Polymers are not categorized under aerospace materials.
4. Select the incorrect statement from the following option.
a) Metals are extremely good conductors of heat and electricity
b) The properties of metal degrade rapidly with temperature
c) Metals have poor corrosion resistant
d) A polished metal surface has a dull appearance
Explanation: A polished metal surface has a lustrous appearance. All the other options are correct. Metals are extremely good conductors of heat and electricity, its properties degrade rapidly with temperature and have poor corrosion resistance.
5. Which one of the following is the best heat and corrosion resistant material?
Explanation: Ceramics materials generally consist of oxides, nitrides, carbides, silicates or borides of various metals. Their heat and corrosion resistance is best compared to metals and polymers.
6. Polymers are used in the chemical industry because of their
a) Inert nature
b) Light weight
c) Low cost
d) Easiness in fabricability
Explanation: Polymers are used in the chemical industry because of their inert nature.
7. Select the incorrect statement from the following option.
a) Composites are optically opaque materials
b) Carbon fiber reinforced composite materials are not used in space vehicles
c) Re-cyclability of composite material is poor
d) Processing of composite material is difficult
Explanation: Carbon fiber reinforced composite materials are used in space vehicles. All the other options are correct. Composites are optically opaque materials, re-cyclability of a composite material is poor and its processing is difficult.
8. Which type of material expands and contract in response to an applied electric field?
a) Advanced material
b) Smart material
Explanation: Smart materials(Piezoelectric) expand and contract in response to an applied electric field(or voltage).
9. Which one of the following is non-linear material?
a) Zirconium oxide
d) Lithium niobate
Explanation: Lithium niobate is a non-linear material used for telecommunication.
10. Which of the following is not an application of nanomaterials?
a) TV and computer monitors
c) Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
d) Sunscreens and fuel cells
Explanation: Cardiology is not an application of nanomaterials. TV and computer monitors, Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and sunscreens and fuel cells are some of the applications of nanomaterials.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Engineering Chemistry.
To practice all areas of Engineering Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.