1. who is considered as the father of Modern Industrial Engineering?
Explanation: F.W. Taylor is considered as “Father of Modern Industrial Engineering”. Because of his ideas of ‘Scientific Management’ and ‘Work Measurement’, Industrial Engineering came out as a formal technique.
2. What does the term “Quality Control” mean in the context of Industrial Engineering and Management?
a) Maintaining product standards and consistency
b) Financial risk analysis
c) Ensuring employee satisfaction
d) Monitoring production costs
Explanation: Quality Control in industrial engineering involves measures to ensure that products meet specified standards and maintain consistent quality throughout the manufacturing process.
3. Applications of Industrial Engineering is only limited to manufacturing industries.
Explanation: Industrial Engineering is also used in non-manufacturing industries such as transportation, construction, farm and air-line operations and maintenance, public utilities, government and military operations.
4. What is the primary focus of Industrial Engineering?
a) Human resource management
b) Financial analysis
c) Production of goods
d) Marketing strategies
Explanation: Industrial Engineering primarily focuses on optimizing production processes, improving efficiency, and enhancing productivity in the manufacturing and service industries.
5. Who among the following is not related to Industrial Engineering?
a) James Watt
b) Frederick A. Hasley
c) Henry L. Gantt
d) Frank Bunker Gilbreth
Explanation: Henry L. Gantt who developed activity-industrial Engineering is the originator of the Gantt chart. Similarly, Frederick A. Hasley introduced Hasley premium plan of wage payment and Gilbreth improved the efficiency through method study. All three has made a contribution to the development of Industrial Engineering. Hence, James Watt is the correct option.
6. Which of the following is an example of a public limited joint-company?
a) Microsoft Corporation (India) Private Ltd.
b) Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
c) Infosys Ltd.
d) Marriot Hotels Pvt Ltd.
Explanation: A public limited company will have only limited at the end of its name. Companies like Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd., Wipro Ltd., and Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. have only limited at its end and hence they all public limited companies.
7. What is the purpose of Time and Motion Study in Industrial Engineering?
a) Analyzing financial statements
b) Assessing employee satisfaction
c) Monitoring market trends
d) Evaluating work processes for efficiency
Explanation: Time and Motion Study is used to analyze and improve work processes by examining the time required for each task, identifying inefficiencies, and optimizing workflow.
8. What does Quality Management focus on in Industrial Management?
a) Analyzing market trends
b) Minimizing production costs
c) Maintaining and improving product and service quality
d) Expanding production facilities
Explanation: Quality Management in industrial management focuses on maintaining and enhancing the quality of products and services.
9. What is the primary goal of Value Engineering in Industrial Engineering?
a) Enhancing the value of products or services while minimizing costs
b) Analyzing market trends
c) Maximizing production costs
d) Increasing workforce size
Explanation: Value Engineering in Industrial Engineering focuses on improving the value of products or services by optimizing costs and functionality.
10. In industrial engineering, is human factors or human engineering or ergonomics considered a part of the discipline?
a) No, it is not related to industrial engineering
b) Yes, it is an integral part
c) It is partially true
d) Not Applicable
Explanation: Human factors or human engineering or ergonomics is an integral part of industrial engineering, focusing on the study of the relationship between humans and machines.
11. Which of the following is not a technique of system analysis?
a) PERT and CPM
d) Operations research
Explanation: Routing is a technique of production planning and control. Operations research, simulation, PERT and CPM are techniques of system analysis.
12. What is called as the cost of manufacturing a product or component?
a) Esteem value
b) Exchange value
c) Cost value
d) Use value
Explanation: Cost value is the cost of manufacturing a product or component. Use value is the fundamental form of economic value. Esteem value is the cost incurred by the manufacturer beyond the use-value.
Chapterwise Multiple Choice Questions on Industrial Engineering and Management
- Industrial Engineering and Management
- Product Design, Planning and Development
- Inspection and Quality Control
- Work Study
- Cost Accounting and Control
- Job Evaluation and Merit Rating
- Wage Payment Plans & Method Study
- Value Engineering
- Reliability Engineering
- Quality Control
- Leadership, Production and Productivity
- Organisation and Forms of Business Organisation
- Network Analysis
- Industrial Ownership
1. Industrial Engineering and Management
The section contains multiple choice questions and answers on industrial engineering history and development, management science and managerial economics.
2. Product Design, Planning and Development
The section contains questions and answers on product design requirements and affecting factors, product design specifications and drawings, as well as standardization and interchangeability.
3. Inspection and Quality Control
The section contains MCQs on quality and inspection basics, acceptance sampling, statistical quality control basics, sampling inspection using attributes, OC curves, inspection sampling plans, control charts, and their applications, as well as reliability and its concepts.
4. Industrial Engineering MCQ on Work Study
The section contains multiple choice questions and answers on method study, process chart symbols, therbligs, time study and work samples.
5. Cost Accounting and Control
The section contains questions and answers on cost accounting elements and depreciation.
6. Industrial Engineering MCQ on Job Evaluation and Merit Rating
The section contains questions and answers on job evaluation and merit rating.
7. Wage Payment Plans & Method Study
The section contains Industrial Engineering multiple choice questions on wage incentive plans and recording techniques.
8. Industrial Engineering Questions on Value Engineering
The section contains MCQs on value engineering.
9. Reliability Engineering
The section contains multiple choice questions and answers on reliability-cost analysis, reliability maintainability and availability, reliability system connections like series, parallel and combinations, reliability redundancy and its types.
10. Quality Control
The section contains Industrial Engineering questions and answers on total quality management, six sigma concept and quality circles.
11. Industrial Management Questions on Leadership, Production and Productivity
The section contains questions and answers on leadership styles and productivity affecting factors.
12. Organisation and Forms of Business Organisation
The section contains Industrial Management MCQs on organisation principles and types, joint stock companies and co-operative organisations.
13. Industrial Management MCQ on Network Analysis
The section contains questions and answers on network analysis basic concepts, cpm and pert.
14. Industrial Ownership
The section contains multiple choice questions and answers on industrial ownership types.
Wish you the best in your endeavor to learn and master Industrial Engineering and Management!