This set of Hadoop Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “History of Hadoop”.
1. IBM and ________ have announced a major initiative to use Hadoop to support university courses in distributed computer programming.
a) Google Latitude
b) Android (operating system)
c) Google Variations
Explanation:Google and IBM Announce University Initiative to Address Internet-Scale.
2. Point out the correct statement :
a) Hadoop is an ideal environment for extracting and transforming small volumes of data
b) Hadoop stores data in HDFS and supports data compression/decompression
c) The Giraph framework is less useful than a MapReduce job to solve graph and machine learning
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation:Data compression can be achieved using compression algorithms like bzip2, gzip, LZO, etc. Different algorithms can be used in different scenarios based on their capabilities.
3. What license is Hadoop distributed under ?
a) Apache License 2.0
b) Mozilla Public License
Explanation:Hadoop is Open Source, released under Apache 2 license.
4. Sun also has the Hadoop Live CD ________ project, which allows running a fully functional Hadoop cluster using a live CD.
Explanation:The OpenSolaris Hadoop LiveCD project built a bootable CD-ROM image.
5. Which of the following genres does Hadoop produce ?
a) Distributed file system
c) Java Message Service
d) Relational Database Management System
Explanation:The Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) is designed to store very large data sets reliably, and to stream those data sets at high bandwidth to user.
6. What was Hadoop written in ?
a) Java (software platform)
c) Java (programming language)
d) Lua (programming language)
Explanation:The Hadoop framework itself is mostly written in the Java programming language, with some native code in C and command line utilities written as shell-scripts.
7. Which of the following platforms does Hadoop run on ?
a) Bare metal
Explanation:Hadoop has support for cross platform operating system.
8. Hadoop achieves reliability by replicating the data across multiple hosts, and hence does not require ________ storage on hosts.
b) Standard RAID levels
d) Operating system
Explanation:With the default replication value, 3, data is stored on three nodes: two on the same rack, and one on a different rack.
9. Above the file systems comes the ________ engine, which consists of one Job Tracker, to which client applications submit MapReduce jobs.
c) Functional programming
Explanation:MapReduce engine uses to distribute work around a cluster.
10. The Hadoop list includes the HBase database, the Apache Mahout ________ system, and matrix operations.
a) Machine learning
b) Pattern recognition
c) Statistical classification
d) Artificial intelligence
Explanation:The Apache Mahout project’s goal is to build a scalable machine learning tool.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Hadoop.