This is a Python Program to count the occurrences of a word in a text file.
The program takes a word from the user and counts the number of occurrences of that word in a file.
1. Take the file name and the word to be counted from the user.
2. Read each line from the file and split the line to form a list of words.
3. Check if the word provided by the user and any of the words in the list are equal and if they are, increment the word count.
Here is source code of the Python Program to count the occurrences of a word in a text file. The program output is also shown below.
fname = input("Enter file name: ") word=input("Enter word to be searched:") k = 0 with open(fname, 'r') as f: for line in f: words = line.split() for i in words: if(i==word): k=k+1 print("Occurrences of the word:") print(k)
1. User must enter a file name and the word to be searched.
2. The file is opened using the open() function in the read mode.
3. A for loop is used to read through each line in the file.
4. Each line is split into a list of words using split().
5. Another for loop is used to traverse through the list and each word in the list is compared with the word provided by the user.
6. If both the words are equal, the word count is incremented.
7. The final count of occurrences of the word is printed.
Case 1: Contents of file: hello world hello hello Output: Enter file name: test.txt Enter word to be searched:hello Occurrences of the word: 3 Case 2: Contents of file: hello world test test test Output: Enter file name: test1.txt Enter word to be searched:test Occurrences of the word: 4
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Python Programs.
To practice all Python programs, here is complete set of 150+ Python Problems and Solutions.