This set of Tough Fluid Mechanics Questions and Answers focuses on “Most Economic Circular Section – 3”.
1. Which of the following conditions is taken into account in case of most economical circular channel section?
a) Minimum wetted perimeter
b) Minimum wetted area
c) Maximum velocity
d) Maximum depth
Explanation: In case of a circular channel the depth continuously varies, hence the wetted area and wetted perimeter changes. Therefore the condition of maximum velocity is taken under consideration.
2. What is the condition for maximum velocity in case of most economical circular section?
a) sin 2θ=2θ
b) cos 2θ=2θ
c) tan 2θ=2θ
d) sec 2θ=2θ
3. What is the value of the θ in case of most economical circular channel section?
Explanation: tan 2θ=2θ where θ= 128°45.
4. What is the depth of flow in case most economical circular section considering maximum velocity?
5. Determine the depth of flow in case of maximum velocity when the radius of the channel is 2.2m.
Explanation: Depth = 0.81D = 0.81(4.4) = 3.56m.
6. The maximum discharge through a most economical circular section in case of maximum velocity is 0.16 m3/s calculate the bed slope of the channel if the radius is 0.4m and C = 55.
a) 1 in 1000
b) 1 in 1100
c) 1 in 1200
d) 1 in 1300
7. The maximum discharge through a circular channel is 0.38 m3/s and the radius of the channel is 0.6m. Calculate the value of C if S0=1 in 1000.
8. The maximum discharge through a circular channel is 0.61 m3/s and the radius of the section is 0.7m. Calculate the value of n if the bed slope value is 1 in 1100.
9. Calculate the hydraulic mean depth in case of maximum mean velocity if the radius of the channel is 0.5m.
Explanation: R = 0.3D = 0.3(1) = 0.3m.
10. Calculate the depth in case of circular channel discharging to the maximum extent if the radius of the channel is 2m.
Explanation: Depth = 0.95D = 0.95(4) = 3.8m.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Fluid Mechanics.
To practice tough questions and answers on all areas of Fluid Mechanics, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.