This set of Total Quality Management Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Dimensions of Service Quality”.
1. Rahul had booked a room in a 5-star hotel. After he checked in at his hotel room he was angry on finding that his bed sheet was filthy. Which dimension of ‘service quality’ was poorly reflected?
Explanation: Tangibles refers to the appearance of the service that is being provided. It is a dimension of ‘service quality’. By providing a dirty bed sheet the customer got angry and this resulted in customer dissatisfaction.
2. Manoj went to buy a washing machine. On top of the washing machine, it was mentioned that free service will be provided every 3 months until one year is completed. Manoj approached the shopkeeper to get a confirmation on the authenticity of the statement. Which dimension of ‘service quality’ was Manoj focusing on?
Explanation: Reliability as a dimension of ‘service quality’ focuses on the authenticity of the promised service. Here, Manoj wanted a confirmation from the shopkeeper that free service will be provided to him. An assurance from the shopkeeper will convince Manoj to buy the washing machine.
3. At Bengaluru Airport, Karan was surprised by the help he received from the staff at the airport. He was worried about the standard procedures like collecting boarding pass and security check-in. But the staff overwhelmingly helped him overcome all the difficulties. Which dimension of ‘service quality’ was strongly promoted by the staff at the airport?
Explanation: Empathy refers to the care that is provided to customers. Here, the staff proved to be a great help for Karan. By overcoming his difficulties by providing individual attention, empathy was strongly promoted.
4. Manish had purchased a ticket from a famous airline for his upcoming business meeting in London. He had injured his left leg a couple of days back and needed wheelchair assistance. He called the airline customer service and asked for wheelchair assistance. He was not only promised wheelchair assistance but also pick-up and drop facility. Which dimension of ‘service quality’ was strongly promoted here?
Explanation: Assurance refers to the knowledge and courtesy of the staff who provide customer service and their ability to convey trust and confidence. By assuring Manish of wheelchair assistance, a sense of confidence was promoted. In addition to this, pick-up and drop facility was also provided which augmented customer satisfaction.
5. Which of the following is not a technique to study the ‘service quality gap’?
b) Online Research
c) Focus Groups
d) Asking the boss of the company
Explanation: Surveys, Online Research, and Focus Groups are exploratory research techniques to identify the service quality gap. The difference between customer expectations and customer perceptions at the time of service is called service quality gap.
6. Which of the following is incorrect while referring to challenges faced while ensuring service quality?
a) Customer expectations change over a period of time
b) Different customers can have different expectations
c) Customer expectations do not change at all
d) Knowledge of all customers about the service may not be the same
Explanation: Customer expectations change over a period of time and different customers can have different expectations. These results in variation in service quality desired. In addition to this, all customers do not have the same knowledge of the service being provided.
7. If the time taken to respond to customer complaints is less, which dimension of ‘service quality’ is strongly promoted?
Explanation: The responsiveness refers to the quickness with which customer problems are dealt with. With a short response time, the responsiveness of the service is strongly promoted here.
8. Company A and Company B are two social networking service companies. It has been found that Company A shares a user’s private information with undetectable sources while Company B is not accused of any such activities. Which dimension of ‘service quality’ is at stake?
Explanation: The security of all the users who have an account in company A is at stake. The user could have many personal details that are not supposed to be shared with anybody. Definitely, Company B has provided security and will be most preferred.
9. Amit is a Hindi speaking person. He resides in Chennai. He had to visit the Passport Office in Chennai to rectify some of the problems he was facing. He was surprised to find the staff at the Passport Office speaking in different languages. Name the dimension of ‘service quality’ which was enforced.
Explanation: The ability to inform the customers in the language they understand is promoted here. Amit will now have no problem in understanding the technicalities involved in rectifying the errors in his passport.
10. Company P and Q are two famous clothing companies in the city. Customers have complained that the staff at Company P are unaware of modern trends and seem to take no interest in understanding customer expectations. The staff at Company Q is knowledgeable and is aware of modern trends. What can you infer?
a) Company P is more competent than Company Q
b) Company Q is more competent than Company P
c) Company P is at the same level as Company Q in terms of competency
d) Competency cannot be compared
Explanation: Company Q is more competent than Company P. The fact that Company Q has a knowledgeable workforce provides customer trust and confidence to buy cloth. Company P must ensure that its staff become more knowledgeable and know the modern trends. Employee training can solve the issue.
11. If all the service promised according to the time commitments are met then __________
a) Timeliness is established
b) Durability is found
c) The service looks attractive
d) Empathy is considered
Explanation: Consider the pizza that you order online. If the person who is assigned to deliver your food comes early you are overjoyed. Hence, timeliness, the quality of being on time is important to establish customer satisfaction.
12. If an organization commits to 10 promises and if all the promises are met, then which ‘service quality’ dimension is strongly promoted?
Explanation: If all the promises are met then completeness is achieved. By meeting all the promises committed, the organization has ensured completeness is achieved. We cannot comment on the timeliness because we have no information about the time taken to meet the promises. Competence refers to the skill and knowledge possessed by the organization. Tangibles referto the appearance of the service which is received.
13. If an organization focuses on trustworthiness and belief considering the customer’s best interests, which dimension of ‘service quality’ is focused on by the organization?
Explanation: Every successful organization has always focused on credibility. Credibility ensures that in times when the organization’s reputation is at stake the trust of the customer remains intact. It helps them in re-establishing themselves.
14. Raju goes to the office from 9 am – 6 pm. He had enrolled himself at a gym center near his office. The gym is open from 6 am – 10 pm. Consider the timings of engagements of both Raju and the gym center, which dimension of ‘service quality’ is strongly promoted?
b) Accessibility and Convenience
Explanation: With reference to the timings, Accessibility and Convenience are strongly promoted. Raju can choose to go to the gym either before his time at the office or after his office hours are over. This flexibility in timings ensures customer satisfaction not just for Raju but also for all the office going people registered at the gym center.
15. Which of the following is a dimension of ‘service quality’?
Explanation: Consistency is a ‘service quality’ dimension. It refers to the act of committing to the same level of customer service every time irrespective of who the customer is. Durability, Serviceability, and Conformance are dimensions of ‘product quality’.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Total Quality Management.
To practice all areas of Total Quality Management, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Total Quality Management
- Participate in Total Quality Management Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Total Quality Management
- Take Total Quality Management Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10