This set of Total Quality Management Problems focuses on “Lean Manufacturing Tools – Just-in-time”.
1. JIT is a long-term approach to process improvement.
Explanation: Yes, JIT is a long-term approach to process improvement. It requires enormous commitment and it takes a lot of time before it gets implemented correctly.
2. Which of the following is not related with JIT implementation?
a) Pull System
b) Push System
c) Zero inventory
d) Zero lead time
Explanation: JIT is a pull system. On successful implementation of JIT, the production system inherits the concepts of zero inventory and zero lead time.
3. MRP is a ____ system and JIT is a _____ system.
a) pull, pull
b) push, push
c) push, pull
d) pull, push
Explanation: MRP is a push system and JIT is a pull system. JIT refers to Just-in-time and MRP refers to Materials Requirement Planning.
4. Which of the following are not results of successful implementation of JIT?
a) Improved quality
b) Sporadic improvement of productivity
c) Elimination of waste
d) Reduction in cost of operations
Explanation: On successful implementation of JIT, a production system has improved quality, waste elimination, and reduction in cost of operations. It also achieves continuous improvement of productivity.
5. According to conventional approach, inventory is ______ and according to JIT, inventory is ______
a) necessary, unnecessary
b) unnecessary, necessary
c) necessary, necessary
d) unnecessary, unnecessary
Explanation: According to conventional approach, inventory is necessary and according to JIT, inventory is unnecessary. JIT refers to the Just-in-Time manufacturing approach.
6. According to JIT, balanced production is efficient.
Explanation: According to JIT, balanced production is efficient. It considers faster production than necessary as a waste.
7. Which of the following is not a principle of JIT manufacturing?
a) Total Quality Management
b) Production Management
d) Supplier Management
Explanation: Total quality management, production management, and supplier management are principles of JIT manufacturing. In addition, inventory management and human resource management are also essential.
8. Which of the following is not a benefit of JIT?
a) Reduction in throughput time
b) Improvement in quality
c) Improvement in productivity
d) High reliance on suppliers
Explanation: Reduction in throughput time, improvement in quality, and improvement in productivity are benefits of JIT. High reliance on suppliers is a disadvantage of JIT.
9. Which of the following is not a disadvantage of JIT?
a) Danger of lost sales
b) Danger of disrupted production
c) Less time for quality control
d) Greater flexibility
Explanation: Danger of lost sales, danger of disrupted production due to non-arrival of supplies, less time for quality control on arrival of material are the disadvantages of JIT. JIT provides greater flexibility which is an advantage.
10. Which of the following is not an advantage of JIT?
a) Greater flexibility
b) Workforce participation
c) May lose bulk-buying discounts
d) Simplified scheduling and control
Explanation: Greater flexibility, workforce participation, and simplified scheduling and control are the advantages of JIT. The aspect of losing bulk-buying discounts is a disadvantage of JIT.
11. Which of the following is not an advantage of JIT?
a) Time-based competition
b) Increased ordering costs
c) Streamline manufacturing operations
d) Reduced cost of scrap
Explanation: Time-based competition, streamline manufacturing operations, and reduced cost of scrap are the advantages of JIT. Increased ordering costs is a disadvantage of JIT.
12. Which of the following is not a benefit of JIT?
a) Better utilization of personnel
b) Reduced space requirements
c) High transaction costs
d) Reduced inventory
Explanation: Better utilization of personnel, reduced space requirements, and reduced inventory are benefits of JIT. High transaction cost is a disadvantage of JIT.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Total Quality Management.
To practice all areas of Total Quality Management Problems, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Total Quality Management
- Participate in Total Quality Management Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Total Quality Management
- Take Total Quality Management Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10